Amlogic S905X processor adds a few features over Amlogic S905 such as 4K VP9 hardware video decoding and HDR support, but thanks to better integration including built-in 10/100M PHY and audio codec, as well as support for 2-layer PCB, products with the new processor could potentially also be slightly cheaper, all other hardware specs being equal. We can now get a first idea of the price as one company has listed HiPo S905X TV box for pre-order on Aliexpress for $39.99 with 1GB RAM/8GB flash (Type 1), and $49.99 with 2GB RAM/16GB flash (Type 2).
- SoC – Amlogic S905X quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHz
- System Memory – 1GB (Type 1) or 2 GB (Type 2) DDR3
- Storage – 8GB (Type 1) or 16 GB (Type 2) eMMC flash + micro SD slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 & H.265 MP-10 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.264 AVC up to 4K @ 30 fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Type 1 – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi @ 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth 4.0
- Type 2 – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, including one OTG capable
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions & Weight – N/A
The specifications are preliminary, because it’s obvious that the company copied and pasted data from Z68 TV box with Rockchip RK3368 processor. I’m especially skeptical about Gigabit Ethernet, since S905X supports 10/100M without external components (except the transformer), while Gigabit Ethernet requires an extra Gigabit Ethernet transceiver. The device will run Android 6.0 and ship with one IR Remote control, one HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual.
There’s no rush to purchase though, as HiPo S905X will only ship on June 20, and I’m sure other Amlogic S905X TV boxes will soon be listed on Aliexpress. Price should also go down a little, as Amlogic S905 based devices with 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, WiFi and Fast Ethernet now sell for about $32.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|