Qualcomm has a made several announcements at Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2017, with processors like Snapdragon Wear 1200 Wearables SoC, as well as Snapdragon 450 octa-core mobile platform, allegedly the first 14nm processor made for mid-range mobile devices.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 specifications:
- CPU – 8x ARM Cortex A53 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz
- GPU – Adreno 506 GPU with OpenGL ES 3.1, OpenCL 2.0 Full, DirectX 12, GPU tessellation, geometry shading
- DSP – Hexagon 546 DSP
- Memory I/F – LPDDR3
- Display – Full HD 1080p60; Qualcomm EcoPix,TruPalette, improveTouch technology
- Audio – Qualcomm Aqstic with VoLTE w/Ultra HD Voice (EVC), high-fidelity music playback (24-bit/192 KHz), Dolby 5.1
- Modem – Snapdragon X9 LTE modem up to 300 Mbps download (Cat 7) and 150 Mbps uplink (Cat. 13)
- Wireless Connectivity – 802.11ac MU-MIMO, Gen8C Lite location technology, Bluetooth 4.1 LE
- USB – USB 3.0 interface
- Camera – Up to 13MP dual camera, up to 21MP single camera; real-time Bokeh, Qualcomm ClearSight camera features
- Video – 1080p60 HEVC playback and capture
- Security – Qualcomm “Mobile Security”
- Fast Charging – Quick Charge 3.0
- Process – 14nm FinFET technology
The processor is an upgrade to the Snapdragon 435 processor with faster CPU and GPU bringing roughly 25% improvement in performance, better battery life with up to 30 percent reduction in power when gaming, and better camera support with support for real-time Bokeh effects and dual 13MP cameras. The Snapdragon 450 is also said to be the the first mid-range mobile SoC to supports a USB 3.0 interface.
Sampling is scheduled for Q3 2017, and mobile devices based on the processor are expected by the end of 2017. No product page has been setup on Qualcomm website yet.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.