Jolla Tablet running Linux based Sailfish OS was launched in 2014 via Indiegogo, and the campaign was initially very successful having raised over 2.5 million dollars, but eventually it became a disaster as the company had some financial issues, and the tablet was canceled with on a few backers having received their tablet. The company eventually organized a refund program, so it did not end up being as bad as it first seemed. But there’s now a “new” SailFish OS tablet – Youyouta tablet – that has been launched on Indiegogo last month.
Jolla is not handling the manufacturing and campaign, and instead it’s done by a third party who is paying license fees to Jolla for Sailfish OS. They re-used most parts of the hardware design from original Jolla tablet plus a few modifications like option for higher storage capacity:
- SoC – Intel Atom Z3735F quad core “Bay Trail” Processor @ 1.33/1.83 GHz with Intel HD Graphics
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3L-RS
- Storage – 32GB or 64GB eMMC + micro SD slot up to 256 GB (ext-4)
- Display – 7.85″ IPS display, 2048 x 1536 resolution, 5-point capacitive touch
- Camera – 5.0MP rear camera with 1080p video capture, 2.0MP front-facing camera
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack + speaker(s)
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS
- USB – 1x micro USB OTG port
- Sensors – Accelerometer, light sensor, gyroscope, compass, and hall sensor
- Battery – 4,500 mAh
- Dimensions – 203 x 137 x 8.3 mm
- Weight – 385 grams
The tablet runs the latest Sailfish OS 2.1 operating system with support for Android apps, Microsoft Exchange Active Sync, text prediction, gesture control, and multitasking.
While the crowdfunding campaign has not been quite as successful as the previous one, as some people have been burned once, and the hardware is rather low-end in 2017, the campaign has already surpassed the $50,000 funding target with around $60,000 raised with 12 days to go, so mass production – by Foxconn – will go ahead. a $199 pledge should get your a black tablet with 32GB flash, while you’d need to pledge $219 to get the red or black version with 64GB flash. Other rewards are available with bundles include a Bluetooth keyboard, and protective cover. Shipping adds $30, and the tablet is expected to ship right after the crowfunding campaign is over in September 2017.