Acme Systems has been designing compact and relatively inexpensive systems-on-module based on Atmel (now Microchip) processor such as their Aria G25 or Arietta G25 modules. The company has now launched RoadRunner system-on-module (SoM) powered by Microchip SAMA5D21 Cortex A5 processor, as well as the corresponding Berta D2 development kit to get started with the SoM.
RoadRunner (D2) SoM specifications:
- SoC – Microchip SAMA5D27 ARM Cortex A5 processor @ 500MHz
- System Memory – 256 MB DDR3L RAM
- Storage – 16 MByte QSPI flash memory (optionally none, 128 MB or 256 MB)
- Board to Board Connectors – 2x 100-pin connectors pitch 0.4 mm with all the CPU signals
- Power Supply – 3.3V DC
- Dimensions – 40 x 30 x 3.5mm
- Weight- 5g
- Temperature Range – -40° to +85°C
- RoHS compliant
The module is said to be “fully supported inside the Linux Kernel main stream” with “all the kernel drivers are fully open source and available directly on official Linux repository”, but the company also mention it focuses on LTS version, and part of the documentation explains how to build Linux 4.9.40 for the module. Further documentation and a Debian image for the board can be found in the Wiki. The firmware image can be flashed to a micro SD card and run via Berta D2 evaluation board for RoadRunner SoM.
Berta D2 specifications:
- Placement for one RoadRunner SoM
- Storage – 1x Micro SD socket
- Connectivity – 1x Ethernet port
- USB – 1x USB host port, 1x USB device port on microUSB used also for 5 VDC power in, HSIC signal on pad
- Debugging – Serial debug port pins, test point for power consumption measurements
- Expansion – 4x placements for 20×2 pin headers or socket 2.54mm pitch
- Misc – 1x 0.47F supercap for RTC and backup memory circuitry, reset push-button, noot-off push-button
- Dimensions – Form factor compatible with Teko Tekal 31.29/30 enclosure
RoadRunner SoM is available in four version depending on SPI flash presence & capacity. RoadRunner-Q16 – with 16MB SPI flash – sells for 36 Euros in single quantity, and as low as 25.40 Euros for 100k+ orders. Berta D2 is sold for 30 Euros. You’ll find all details on RoadRunner and Berta D2 product pages.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|