So far, I had not seen that many devices based on Arm Cortex A35 64-bit cores which promise better performance than Cortex A7, while consuming 32% less than a Cortex A53. But Mediatek released MT8167B quad core Cortex A35 last year supporting 1080p30 video decoding, and HD+ (1280×800) displays. There’s also a Mediatek MT8167A SoC clocked at a higher 1.5 GHz, capable of handling higher resolution 1920×1200 displays, and 1080p60 videos.
Acer Iconia One 10 tablet – also released last year – is powered by MT8167B SoC, and comes with 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, and a 10.1″ HD+ Display.
Acer Iconia One 10 (B3-A40) specifications:
- SoC – MediaTek MT8167B quad core Cortex A35 processor @ 1.30 GHz with Imagination PowerVR GE8300 GPU
- System Memory – 2 GB DDR3L RAM
- Storage – 16 or 32GB storage, Micro SD Card slot up to 128 GB
- Display – 10.1″ IPS touch screen display; 1280×800 resolution (HD+)
- Audio – Stereo speaker, 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
- Camera – 5MP rear camera, 2MP front-facing camera
- USB – 1x Micro USB port
- Sensor – Accelerometer
- Battery – 6,100 mAh Li-polymer good for 10 hours of typical use
- Dimensions – 258.40 mm x 167.15 mm x 9.15 mm
- Weight – 530 grams
The tablet runs Android 7.0. Acer Iconia One 10 has been selling since last year, but looking for reviews is quite confusing, as the model name has been used for several year, so you really need to check for B3-A40-XXXX models, which can be based on Mediatek MT8163 (Cortex A53), MT8167A, or MT8167B SoC. If you want to latter, the exact model names are B3-A40-K5S2 and B3-A40-K5EJ based on the information provided by the aforelinked page on Acer website.
However, there was also B3-A40-K7JP model that followed the specifications listed above, but appears to be out of stock anywhere I look. That model sold for $103.99 on BestBuy during a clearance sale, and users reviews are generally positive considering the price they paid for it. B3-A40-K6JH is the 16GB storage model, and can be found for $102.99 on Amazon (refurbished). The various model can also be purchased on eBay.
Mediatek MT8167A/MT8167B processors have not been popular with Chinese maker since I could not find any Cortex A35 tablet on Aliexpress…
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.