Qualcomm Snapdragon 820E processor was recently launched a version of Snapdragon 820 without LTE modem, easier to source, and targeting the embedded market.
The long expected DragonBoard 820c is the first board to feature the new processor, but Geniatech has also been working on their own Developer Board 8 that follows 96Boards CE Extended form factor, and is very similar to DragonBoard 820c.
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 820E quad core Kryo processor up to 2.35 GHz with Adreno 530 GPU
- System Memory – 3 GB LPDDR4-1866 (PoP)
- Storage – 32 GB UFS Flash + micro SD 3.0 (UHS-I) slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Audio – Via HDMI, 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS (TBC)
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 1x micro USB 2.0 device port
- Camera – Support for up to 3x image sensors up to 28 MP (TBC)
- 1x 40-pin 96Boards low speed connector with UART x2, SPI, I2S, 2x I2C, 12x GPIO, DC power
- 1x 60-pin 96Boards high speed connector with 4L-MIPI DSI, USB, 2x I2C, 2L+4L-MIPI CSI
- 1x 60-pin high speed connector with secondary 4L-MIPI DSI, SSC serial busses, TSIF
- 2x analog expansion connector for headset, speaker via sound-wire interface, microphones, line-outs
- 1x mPCIe half mini card (HMC) socket
- Misc – Volume, power & reset buttons. 6 LEDS (4x user, 1x Wifi, 1x Bluetooth)
- Power Supply – +8 – 18V DC input (96Boards compliant)
- Dimensions – 100 x 85 mm compliant with 96Boards CE Extended specifications
The company says the board supports Linux Debian, with OpenEmbedded planned for later in 2018.
But based on specifications – which the company appears to have copied from 96Boards website – and the photos above, I’d say any image running on DragonBoard 820c should also run on the Geniatech board. The only obvious differences are the removal of the camera connector, and the Snapdragon 820E + memory + storage part of the design appears to be a pluggable system-on-module, which could then be used in a custom carrier board.
A few more details can be found on Geniatech’s Developer Board 8 product page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|