Android 8.0 “Oreo”was launched in August 2017 for smartphones and tablets, and it normally takes some time before the operating system is ported to TV boxes.
So far, I had no seen any boxes running Android 8.x, but today I’ve come across MX10 TV box based on Rockchip RK3328 processor, that’s said to run Android 8.1 “Oreo”.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad core Cortex A53 processor with Arm Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 4GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash + SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K 60Hz with HDR support + 3.5mm AV port (composite)
- Audio Output – Via HDMI, AV port (stereo audio), coaxial S/PDIF output
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 3x USB 2.0 ports
- Power Supply – 5V2A
- Dimensions –
The box ships with a power adapter, a remote control, a HDMI cable, and a user manual. Now, bear in mind that MX10 is not a new TV box, and it first shipped with Android 7.1, but GeekBuying lists it with Android 8.1. You can also download the firmware here (MX10 RK3328.1_8189-6051_20180418_r1) and flash it with Android Tool.
MX10 is not the only Rockchip RK3328 device that has gotten an Android 8.1 update though, as at least one other model called iLEPO R10 can be found on Aliexpress with Android Areo.
If you are more interested in devices running the official “Android TV OS” – as opposed to “Android OS” as above – NVIDIA Shield Android TV has apparently not gotten an official Android 8.x update just yet, but you can install an unofficial update through LineageOS 15.1, and Xiaomi Mi Box 3 has been spotted with Android 8.0.0 at MWC 2018.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|