A new Android TV device has shown up on the FCC website, and generated quite a lot of buzz last time online with the source of the story originating from Reddit or Ausdroid, and picked up by many blogs because the device comes with a “G” logo that looks like the one Google might use…
But in all likelihood it should just be another TV stick running Android TV OS, and the FCC listing has been submitted by Shenzhen SEI Robotics, an Android TV box manufacturer. The device is based on Amlogic S905X processor with 2GB RAM, and looks like a mix between the ChromeCast and Amazon FireTV 2017 with its short built-in HDMI cable and rounded shape.
- SoC- Amlogic S905X quad core Cortex A53 processor with Arm Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 support
- Video Decoding – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps, H.265/HEVC MP10 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K2K @ 30 fps, H.264/MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AVS, etc.. up to 1080p60
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 LE
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via micro USB port
Beside the 5V/2A power supply shown above, the dongle also ships with a voice enabled Bluetooth remote control, accompanying batteries, and a user guide.
Some claim it runs the latest version of Android TV (8.x Oreo), and it’s likely it’s running Android TV instead of just Android since it works with Google Assistant, but I could not find specific information about the version. We really just have the screenshot below from the user manual.
While I really doubt it will ever become a Google product like some have speculated, we should eventually start seeing it on Alibaba, and then Aliexpress and other Chinese e-retailers.
Thanks to TLS for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|