Xiaomi Mi Boxes have been available in China for a couple of years, and the only way to ship them to the rest of the world was to purchase via Chinese e-retailers. Xiaomi and Google have now worked together to bring Mi Box with Android TV 6.0, instead of the usual Chinese MIUI TV interface, to the US, and possibly to other countries.
- SoC – Amlogic S905X-H quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDCP 2.2 and CEC support
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF and 3.5mm audio jack
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 & H.265 MP-10 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.264 AVC up to 4K @ 30 fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60
- Audio Codecs – DTS 2.0+ digital out, Dolby digital plus up to 7.1 pass-through
- HDR – HDR10 and HLG HDR processing
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host ports
- DRM – Widevine L1 + PlayReady 3.0
- Power Supply – 5.2V/2.1A
- Dimensions – 101 x 101 x 19.5 mm
- Weight – 176.5 grams
The device will run Android TV 6.0 and ships with a Bluetooth voice remote control powered by two AAA batteries, an HDMI cable, a 100/240V 50/60Hz to 5.2V power supply, and a user’s guide. Mi Game controller can also be purchased as an option. The device obviously supports all DRM options to get 1080p and 4K video playback for YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and so on.
The company did not mention Amlogic S905X processor by name, but given the specs, and the fact that a contact told me Amlogic designed S905X for Xiaomi, because Android TV now requires VP9, there’s no doubt it’s the one. That’s probably also explain why they did not go with a more powerful solution as found in their latest Xiaomi Mi Box 3 Enhanced Edition. The H is S905X-H is for Dolby license.
The TV box is coming soon at an undisclosed price. For reference, the (hardware-wise) similar Xiaomi Box 3 TV box based on Amlogic S905-H, 1GB RAM, and 4GB storage, is sold for 299.00 CNY (~$46 US) in China, so I’d not be surprised if the price ends up being around $60. Further details can be found on Xiaomi Mi Box page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|