NetBSD on Arm started in 2014 with the release of version 7.0, and last year device tree support was implemented and tested on some Allwinner H3 boards.
But apparently, so far NetBSD only supported 32-bit Arm, with initial support for 64-bit Arm (ARM64) committed last April, but good progress has been made, and NetBSD ARM64 bootable firmware images are now available with SMP (multi-core) support.
Eight different NetBSD ARM64 images can be downloaded:
- Generic NetBSD 64-bit image for Raspberry Pi 3 and NVIDIA Tegra X1
- Two images for FriendlyELEC boards namely NanoPi NEO2 and NEO Plus2 boards
- Five images for the following Pine64 boards and hardware platforms
- Pine A64/A64+
- Pine A64-LTS / Sopine with baseboard
- Pine H64
- Pinebook laptop
- ROCK64 (ROCK64Pro not yet supported)
The supported hardware matrix shows most features are supported, but there are still a few things missing such as GPU, crypto and MIPI CSI on all platforms, USB OTG is still experimental, and PCIe support is missing on Allwinner H6.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.