Just a few days after covering Amlogic S905Y2, S905X2, and S922X reference boards from the silicon vendor, we can now see one of the first consumer devices powered by Amlogic S905X2 processor with X96 Max TV box now up for pre-order on Aliexpress for $48 and up, and with shipping scheduled for the end of October.
X96 Max looks to be inspired from Amlogic S905W based X96 Mini design, but with one extra optical S/PDIF port, and improved internal specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X2 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0 GHz (TBC) with Mali-G31 MP2 “Dvalin” GPU
- Three configurations with System Memory / Storage / Networking
- 2GB LPDDR4, 16GB flash, 2.4G WiFi, 100M Ethernet
- 4GB LPDDR4, 32GB flash, dual band AC WiFi, Bluetooth 4.x, Gigabit Ethernet
- 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB flash, dual band AC WiFi, Bluetooth 4.x, Gigabit Ethernet
- External Storage – micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a output with HDR, AV port (composite)
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496), etc..
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, optical S/PDIF
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – IR receiver, IR expansion port, front panel display, LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – TBD
The box runs Android 8.1 with Neural Network API support, and ships with a remote control, a power supply, a HDMI Cable, and a user manual. The 10W power adapter looks a little underpowered if you plan to connect an external USB 3.0 drive to the device. Compared to devices based on Amlogic S905X, you may get a bit more CPU performance if the max frequency is really 2.0 GHz, and improved graphics (visuals, but not necessarily performance) with a brand new Mali-G31 GPU that supports OpenGL ES 3.2 and Vulkan. If memory serves me well, Amlogic S905X2 is also the first processor from the company with a USB 3.0 interface.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|