Amlogic showcased three reference platforms based on new processors namely S905Y2, S905X2, and S922X at ICB 2018. Let’s forget about the more powerful S922X processor for now since it should be released a bit latter, but S905Y2 was integrated into a HDMI stick reference design, while S905X2 was found in a TV box reference design.
We’ve also covered an Amlogic S905X2 TV box with X96 MAX model, but today I came across a model based on Amlogic S905Y2 processor instead. Meet A95X Plus.A95X Plus TV box specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905Y2 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 1.8 GHz (TBC) with Mali-G31 MP2 “Dvalin” GPU
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32GB flash, micro SD card slot (but not visible on any of the photos)
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a output with HDR, AV port (composite)
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496), etc..
- Connectivity – Dual band WiFi AC (aka WiFi 5), and Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – TBD, but certainly not “as thin as an iPhone XS” as mentioned in marketing materials…
All-in-all it looks very similar as the Amlogic S905X2 TV box (X96 Max), except Ethernet is missing, and I believe that’s because Ethernet is missing from the processor itself for cost savings. S905Y2 advertised maximum frequency is 1.8 GHz instead of the 2.0 GHz advertised for S905X2. Note the advertised frequency does not always reflect reality, so those numbers are only provided for reference until people really start getting hardware to play with. Amlogic S905Y2 dongle reference design only support USB 2.0, so I’m a bit surprised to see a USB 3.0 connector in this device. So either Amlogic strangely decided not to include USB 3.0 in their board despite S905Y2 supporting it, or the blue “USB 3.0” port in A95X Plus is just for show…
If you don’t need Ethernet for your video streaming needs, A95X Plus is somewhat better deal since it is sold for about $50 shipped with 4GB RAM/32GB flash, against $56.87 for X96 Max (S905X2) in the same memory / storage configuration.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|