Several Amlogic S905X2 TV boxes have launched in recent months with models such as X96 Max or Beelink GT1 Mini, and if you’re the kind of user who mostly play videos from local storage as opposed to streaming, you can always connect a hard drive to one of the USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports of the media players. However, if you prefer something neater, A95X Max TV box offers similar features, but adds support for internal 2.5″ SATA drives.
A95X Max specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X2 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 1.8 GHz with Mali-G31 MP2 “Dvalin” GPU
- System Memory – 4GB DDR3L
- Storage – 64GB eMMC flash, micro SD card slot up to 128GB, support for internal SATA SSD/HDD
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 output up to 4K @ 75 Hz with CEC, HDP, HDR support, AV output
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496), etc..
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 (2T2R), Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 4x USB 3.0 ports
- Misc – IR receiver, front panel display, cooling fan
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 13 x 13 x 4.5 cm
- Weight – 260 grams
Note that Amlogic S905X2 processor does not support SATA, and instead the design should rely on a USB 3.0 to SATA bridge. That means there’s no performance improvement to expect, and A95X Max is mostly interesting for cosmetics / convenience reasons.
The devices runs Android 8.0, and ships with a remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and an user manual. A mobile app is apparently available to record videos in the hard drive installed in the TV box, and share videos, games or movies.
A95X Max is now sold on GearBest for $72.99 with free shipping when using coupon GBA95XMAX. If you search for alternative sellers, be careful as manufacturers are running out of ideas for product names, and another “A95X Max” TV box was also launched in 2016 with Amlogic S905W and 1 to 2GB RAM.