From time to time some pretty good deals come up in my news feed, and today I’ve found out MECOOL KM8 P, a TV box powered by Amlogic S912 octa-core processor is sold for $21.28 and up including shipping. The lowest price is for the 1GB RAM / 8GB flash version, so you may consider selecting the 2GB/16GB model for $33.60 instead if you are interested in this type of device.
Mecool KM8 P specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S912 octa-core ARM Cortex A53 processor @ up to 1.5 GHz with Arm Mali-820MP3
- System Memory – 1 or 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8 or 16GB eMMC flash, micro SD slot up to 32GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60Hz with CEC and HDR support, and 3.5mm AV port (composite + stereo audio)
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 5
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – IR receiver, status, and network LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 97 x 97 x 10 mm
The device runs Android 7.1, and ships an IR remote control, a power adapter, an HDMI cable, and a user’s manual.
Since the TV box launched in 2017, there are several reviews already, but most of them based on the older Android 6.0.1 firmware, and likely not representative of the current status of the firmware. The hardware might have changed slightly as well since I can now see dual-band 802.11ac WiFi support, while the model released in 2017 only supported 2.4 GHz 802.11n WiFi. Finally, MECOOL KM8 P should also not be confused with MECOOL KM8 model based on Amlogic S905X and Android TV OS.