ASRock has introduced what may be the first mini-ITX motherboard based on Intel Whiskey Lake-U processor. ASRock IMB-1216 motherboard comes with a choice of low power Intel’s 8th Gen Whiskey Lake-U SoCs, supports for up to 32GB DDR4 memory through two SO-DIMM sockets, 2.5″ SATA storage and M.2 SATA or PCIe storage, cam drive up to three independent, and is equipped with plenty of other I/Os.
ASRock IMB-1216 specifications:
- SoC- Intel’s 8th Gen Core “Whiskey Lake-U” SoC (Core i7-8565U / Core i5-8265U / Core i3-8145U) with Intel UHD Graphics 620; 15W TDP
- System Memory – 2x SO-DIMM DDR4-2400 slots up to 32 GB RAM
- 1x M.2-2280 Key M SSD with SATA or PCIe 3.0 x4 interface
- 2x SATA interfaces for 2.5″ HDDs or SSDs
- Video Output / Display Interface
- 1x DisplayPort 1.2 up to 4096×2160 @ 60 Hz
- 1x HDMI 2.0 up to 4096×2160 @ 60 Hz
- LVDS connector up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- eDP connector (shared with LVDS)
- Internal VGA connector (shared with DisplayPort) up to 1920 x 1200 resolution
- Support for up to 3 independent displays working simultaneously
- Audio – 3.5 mm audio in and audio out jacks; HDMI digital audio output; speaker header
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet via Intel I219LM, Realtek RTL8111G
- Optional WiFi via 1x M.2-2230 Key E CNVi, or USB 2.0 Wi-Fi 802.11 + Bluetooth adapter
- Optional cellular connectivity via 1x M.2-3042 Key B USB 2.0 slot for 4G modem/SIM
- USB – 4x USB 3.0 type-A host ports, 1x internal USB 3.0 type-A port, 3x internal USB 2.0 type-A ports
- Serial – 2x COM(RS232/422/485), 4x COM(RS-232)
- Other I/Os – 1x TPM header, 1x LPT (parallel port), 8x GPI, 8x GPO connector (shared with LPT) controlled by the Fintek F1866AD-I
- Misc – Watchdog timer
- Power Supply – 12V DC-in (DC Jack/ 4-pin ATX PWR Con) (Option: +19V~28V)
- Dimensions – 170 x 170 mm (mini-ITX form factor)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0ºC – 60ºC; storage: -40ºC – 85°C
The motherboard can run Windows 10, Linux distributions and other compatible operating systems. While in theory, it could be integrated into standard low power computers, the IMB-1216 motherboard is designed for industrial applications such as digital signage, panel PCs, point-of-sales systems, and kiosks.
The datasheet for the Whiskey Lake mini-ITX motherboard is still marked as “preliminary”, so the board may not be available just yet. More details should eventually be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|