Volumio is a well-known Linux based open source music player for Raspberry Pi, UDOO, Cubox-I, Beaglebone Black, and other single board computers. Some companies even made audiophile boards with support for Volumio including Khadas Tone high-resolution audio board for VIM/VIM2 SBC’s, and the tiny VoltaStream ZERO following Raspberry Pi Zero form factor.
But Volumio team has decided to make their own hardware with Motivo, an awesomely looking audio streamer designed in collaboration with Yottamusic engineering firm, and Design Narratives industrial design company. Motivo was introduced at High-End Munich, the world’s biggest Hi-Fi trade fair, and Pine64 posted some photos in a tweet claiming it was powered by their SOPINE A64 system-on-module.
The full details about the device have not been published at the time of writing, but we can still derive some of Volumio Motivo specifications and key features from the photos and a few bits of public information:
- System-on-Module – SOPINE A64 with Allwinner A64 quad-core Cortex-A53 processor, up to 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, 128 Mbit SPI flash, microSD card slot
- Display – 8″ touch screen display with 1280×800 resolution showing Volumio 2 user interface
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 video output
- Audio I/O
- RCA ports for stereo analog audio (left and right)
- Balanced XLR ports for left and right channels
- Optical and coaxial audio outputs
- HDMI I2S audio port
- Built-in audio DAC with low noise floor and jitter
- Connectivity – Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – Red rotary encoder (TBC)
- Power Supply – Via power barrel jack
The platform shown at High-end Munich may look good, but those are still prototypes, so it may take a few more months before Volumio Motivo is launched to the general public.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|