It did not take long this time. Just a couple of days after Arm announced their latest Cortex-A77 CPU and Mali-G77 GPU IP blocks, MediaTek unveiled an upcoming 5G processor based on their Helio M70 modem, an unspecified number of Arm Cortex-A77 cores, a Mali-G77 GPU, all manufactured using a 7nm FinFET process.
The company did not bother finding a name for the processor nor provided details specifications before the announcement, but here’s what we know about the first MediaTek 5G SoC:
- CPU- Arm Cortex-A77 cores
- GPU- Arm Mali-G77
- NPU – APU 3.0 with support for advanced AI applications including imaging
- Video – 4K60 video encode and decode
- Camera – 80MP ISP
- Cellular Connectivity – Helio M70 5G modem with peak 4.7 Gbps download using sub-6GHz bands, support for standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) 5G networks
- Process – TSMC’s 7nm FinFET
Samples will be available in Q4 2019, and commercial devices are expected for early next year.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.