In recent years, we’ve seen mini laptops with sub-9″ displays from companies like GPD, One Mix, and CHUWI featuring Intel Gemini Lake or Amber Lake processors. There’s another company joining the fray with MAG1 “Magic Small” mini laptop with an 8.9″ display, an Intel Core m3-8100Y Amber Lake processor coupled with 8GB or 16GB RAM, and 256GB or 512GB SSD storage that’s currently selling for 4,199 RMB (~$593 US) and up on JD.com.
- SoC – Intel Core m3-8100Y dual-core/quad-thread Amber Lake processor @ 1.1 / 3.4 (Turbo) GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 615; 5W TDP
- System Memory / Storage Configurations
- 8GB DDR3 RAM + 256GB PCIe SSD + MicroSD slot
- 16GB DDR3 RAM + 512GB PCIe SSD + MicroSD slot
- Display – 8.9″ IPS touchscreen display with 2560 x 1600 resolution
- Video Output – Micro HDMI up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Audio – Built-in microphone, 3.5mm audio jack, digital audio via HDMI
- Connectivity – Dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB type-C port
- User Input – Backlit QWERTY keyboard and touchpad
- Sensor – Fingerprint sensor right of the power button
- Battery – 8,600 mAh battery good for about 7 hours
- Power Supply – USB PD via USB-C port
- Dimensions – 207.2 x 146.5 x 17.5 mm thickness
- Weight – 690 grams
The 8GB/256GB version sells for 4,199 RMB, and the 16GB RAM/512GB SSD model goes for 5,199 RMB ($735). We’ll have to see if it will ever be sold outside of China, but I’m pretty sure it will soon show up on Aliexpress, GearBest, and other Chinese online shipping websites catering to oversea markets.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.