Inkplate 6 wireless display is made from recycled e-Paper display taken from a used Amazon Kindle E-reader and adds WiFi (and Bluetooth) connectivity thanks to an ESP32-WROVER module featuring Espressif Systems ESP32 dual-core processor.
The 6″ e-Paper display can easily be updated over WiFi, and used for a variety of applications or projects such as high-latency digital signage displays, collaborative task trackers, e-Paper typewriters, open-hardware E-readers, art projects and so on.
Inkplate 6 specifications:
- ESP32-WROVER wireless module
- ESP32 dual-core Tensilica LX6 processor @ 240 MHz
- 8MB RAM, 4MB flash
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
- Display – 6″ e-Paper Display (ED060SC7) with 800×600 resolution taken from discarded Kindle readers; refresh time: 0.264 s; partial updates possible
- Storage – MicroSD card socket
- USB – 1x Micro USB Port for power and programming (via CH340C)
- EasyC / Qwiic connector with I2C
- Headers for power signals, I2C, SPI, ESP32’s GPIO, and MCP23017 I2C I/O expander
- Sensor – Internal TPS65186 temperature sensor
- Misc – 3x capacitive touch pads at the front, hardware power switch, LED battery indicator. Hardware reset button
- Power Management
- Texas Instruments (TI) TPS65186 PMIC
- MCP73831 lithium battery charger with a standard JST connector
- Input – 5V via micro USB port, or LiPo battery
Inkplate 6 has just launched on Crowd Supply with a $10,000 funding target which it has already surpassed. There’s a single reward available from the crowdfunding campaign: Inkplate 6 itself which goes for $99 with free shipping to the US, and $10 to the rest of the world. Backers should expect their wireless e-Paper display to ship sometimes in April 2020 if everything goes according to plans.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|