We’ve covered several power supplies for breadboards over the years including toaster breadboard power supply with variable voltage output, or the portable, battery-powered MEGO power supply that allows you to power your project on the go.
The SwitchTrick is another one of those breadboard power supplies but with testing in mind, as it takes input from various sources, and with jumper selection for voltage from 1.8V to 6V allows you to easily simulate different battery voltage levels, or the test the overvoltage protection of your circuit for example.
SwitchTrick key features and specifications:
- Step-down converter – TI TPS62160 3-17V step down-convertor adjustable from 0.9-6V out at 1A.
- Power Input – 3V to 17V via
- 5.5×2.1mm power jack for 9V battery or wall supply
- Micro USB connector for 5V
- 2-pin JSY PH connector for battery
- 2x large plates holes for alligator clips
- Power Output (selectable by a jumper)
- 3.0V (e.g. for simulating an almost depleted lithium battery)
- 3.7V (e.g. for simulating a nominal lithium battery)
- 4.2V (e.g. for simulating a fully charged lithium battery)
- ADJ – Just solder in your own resistor to create any voltage in the 0.9-6.0V range
- Circuit Protection – All except the alligator holes are diode-protected
- On/Off switch, power LED
- Diode bypass jumper
- Unpopulated header with Enable and power pins to connect the board to a microcontroller
Some breadboards may have power rails that are around 0.050″ off from usual, so they’ve also added a duplicate power rail header pattern (see bottom left above) to work around the issue.
The SwitchTrick switching power supply has been designed in the US by Alpenglow Industries and sells on Tindie for $29. You can learn more about it and see it in action in the embedded video.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|