Mecool M8S Plus W is just another Amlogic S905W based Android 7.1 TV box fitted with 1GB RAM, and 8GB eMMC flash. I would certainly not recommend this device for the best user experience, but if you’d just like to play some videos or tinker with the box, the price is hard to beat as the TV box currently goes for $14.96 plus shipping (around $1 extra here)
Mecool M8S Plus W specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905W quad-core Cortex A53 processor with Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash, no MicroSD card slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0 output, AV port with composite video and stereo audio
- Video Decoding – H.265, H.264, and VP9 up to 4K @ 30 fps
- Connectivity – 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n WiFi 4, no Bluetooth, no Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – Power LED, IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 100 x 90 x 16 mm
The box runs Android 7.1.2 with “TV CENTER 17.0” app pre-installed (it must be a fork of Kodi), and support for OTA firmware update, although I would not expect many.
Mecool M8S Plus ships with a power adapter, an HDMI cable, and an IR remote control. If you think you’ll be limited with 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, especially there’s no MicroSD card slot, the version with 2GB DDR3 and 16GB flash is sold for $18.24 including free shipping.
The box was launched in 2018, so there are several reviews on the Internet where you can see a bit more about the user interface and performance including the one embedded below.
I’d like to make clear it’s most likely unusable as a lightweight mini PC contrary to what some other sites may report.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.