NXP QorIQ LayerScape LX2160A networking processor with 16 Cortex-A72 cores, 16 Ethernet interfaces with support for up to 100GbE connectivity, 4 SATA III, and 24 SerDes lanes, was first announced in 2018, and at the time the company expected the processor to be found in enterprise storage controllers, appliances handling network function virtualization (NFV), white-box switching (e.g. control plane for L2 switches in TOR and EOR applications), and 5G packet processing.
So far, we’ve reported about one appliance using the processor, namely SolidRun Janux GS31 Edge AI Server that combines the NXP networking processor with up to 128 AI accelerators for inference at the edge. The just-announced Nexcom NSA 6310 uCPE (Universal Consumer Premise Equipment) serves several purposes aiming to help telecom companies build virtualization environments, and with the ability to connect FPGA and AI/ML accelerators via PCIe interface can also support AI edge processing.
- SoC (one or the other)
- NXP LX2160A 16-core Arm Cortex-A72 processor @ up to 2.2GHz
- NXP LX2120A 12-core Arm Cortex-A72 processor
- NXP LX2080A 8-core Arm Cortex-A72 processor
- System Memory – 4x DDR4-3100 ECC-DIMM up to 64GB
- Storage – 1x 2.5″ SSD, 1x M.2 2280 B-Key SATA SSD, Micro SD slot for RMA?
- 4x GbE RJ45
- 2x SerDes LAN modules support 25G/10G/1G
- Optional IEEE1588 PTP
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 type-A ports
- 1x mini-PCIe for Wi-Fi
- 1x M.2 2280 B key with SIM slot for LTE
- 1x SO-DIMM slot for NEXCOM BMC module
- SPI I/O pin-header for GPS module
- Security – Secure boot and optional TPM
- Power Supply
- 550W 1+1 CRPS redundant power supply (default)
- Optional PoE at/af support with 12V/550W + 54V/850W CRPS power supply
- Optional BMC support with manager port
- Dimensions – 430 x 480 x 44 mm (1U rackmount form factor)
- Temperature Range – 0 – 40°C
- CE/FCC Class A (planning)
- Arm Server Ready (planning)
The device runs a Linux operating system build with NXP LSDK (LayerScape Software Development Kit) and based on Ubuntu userland.
NSA 6310 is shown as coming soon on the product page, and pricing information is not available at this time.