The new 802.11ax standard (WiFi 6) used to be mostly found in premium smartphones, laptops, and routers, but now WiFi 6 is starting to gain more traction as we’re seeing WiFi 6 modules designed for other applications such as u-Blox JODY-W6 WiFI 6 + Bluetooth 5.1 module designed specifically for automotive applications.
Quectel has now announced its own WiFi 6 modules with FG50X industrial-grade WiFi 6 module based on Qualcomm FastConnect 6800, as well as AF50T automotive-grade module powered by Qualcomm QCA6696 802.11ax chip. The former will be found in premium consumer & industrial products such as smart homes, smart TVs, over-the-top (OTT) devices, industrial controls, and customer premises equipment (CPE), while the latter will power “the Internet of Vehicles” applications such as in-vehicle infotainment and on-board diagnosis (OBD). Both also happen to support Bluetooth 5.1.
- 802.11 ax WiFI 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 connectivity, backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi
- Dual MAC, 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Dual Bands Simultaneous (DBS) in 2X2+2×2 mode, MU-MIMO with 8×8 sounding
- Advanced Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) and 1024-QAM (Orthogonal Amplitude Modulation)
- Maximum data rate of up to 1774.5 Mbps.
- Host Interface – PCIe 2.0 interface
- Package – 19.5 x 21.5 x 2.3 mm in LGA form factor
- Temperature Range – -40°C to +85°C
Engineering samples for both the FG50X and AF50T WiFI 6 modules are available, and the company expected the first products based on FG50X to become available as early as May 2020 (next month). More details may eventually be found on the respective product pages here and there.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.