Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ Lite based CutiePi open-source tablet has been in the making for well over a year, and the company has made enough progress to launch a Kickstarter campaign with the Raspberry Pi tablet offered for $169 and up.
- SoM – Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ Lite with Broadcom BCM2837 quad-core Cortex-A53 processor and 1GB RAM
- Storage – MicroSD card slot
- Display – 8-inch 5-point multi-touch display with 1280×800 resolution
- Video Output – Micro HDMI
- Audio – 2W 8Ohm speaker
- Camera – 5MP front-facing camera
- Connectivity – WLAN 802.11 b/g/n WiFi 4 and Bluetooth 4.0 (RTL8723BS)
- USB – 1x USB type-A port
- Expansion – 6x GPIO pins
- Sensor – Gyroscope
- Misc – Handle that doubles as a stand
- Battery – 5,000 mAh Li-Po battery
- Power Supply – 5V via USB Type-C port; STM32 MCU handles power management and battery level monitoring
- Dimensions – 213 x 134 x 12 mm
- Weight – 360 grams
- OSHWA Certification – JP000005 (carrier board only)
The tablet runs Raspberry Pi OS with CutiePi shell mobile UI built with the Qt framework. The complete project is open-source hardware with the OrCAD schematics, Allegro PCB layout, BoM, and Gerber files for the schematics, 3D files for the enclosure, middleware, STM32 firmware, and CutiePi shell software all available on Github.
CutiePi tablet ships with a MicroSD card preloaded with the OS, and a cable set for GPIOs and the STM32 MCU. The first 50 pieces in the Super Early Bird go for $169, and the price will increase up to $179 (Early Bird – 150 pcs) and $199 (Kickstarter Special). If you’d like to get the CutiePi board only, an $89 pledge will do. Shipping fees will be calculated and charged after the campaign, and backers should expect the tablet or board to ship around November 2020. More information may also be found on the official website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|