Most of the 5G modem we covered are designed for mobile devices, but 5G technology also brings opportunities for fixed wireless access routers (FWA routers) potentially replacing fixed broadband modem routers, as well as for 5G mobile hotspots to add coverage in areas without reliable cellular signal.
Those are the two markets targetted by the just-announced 7nm MediaTek T750 quad-core Arm processor with support for sub-6GHz frequencies aiming to affordable broadband connectivity to areas with limited DSL, cable, or fiber services, or on the contrary adding wireless services in suburban, rural, and less developed areas.
Mediatek T750 5G SoC highlights:
- Processor – Quad-core Arm Cortex-A55 CPU
- GPU / Display – Embedded GPU and display driver to support up to 720p displays
- Cellular Networking
- 5G NR FR1 modem with sub-6GHz frequencies support and two-component carrier aggregation (2CC CA) for extended coverage
- Standalone and non-standalone (SA/NSA) modes supported
- 5CC LTE carrier aggregation
- LAN Connectivity
- 2x 2.5Gbps SGMII interfaces for wired Ethernet networks
- WiFi 6 and Bluetooth connectivity via 4x PCIe interfaces
- Misc – PCM interface for external land-line phones
- Process – 7nm
MediaTek T750 is suitable for both indoor and outdoor fixed wireless access products such as SOHO routers, as well as mobile hotspots. This type of router will be easier and potentially cheaper to set up than a fixed-line broadband router since there’s no need to layout cables like for DSL or fiber. Consumers could just install a 5G broadband router by themselves.
MediaTek says T750 is currently sampling with potential customers, but it’s unclear when volume production will start. More details may be found on the announcement page. As a side note, MediaTek also recently introduced a T700 5G data card connectivity solution for PCs and embedded systems which would allow people to upgrade their existing computers and/or routers to 5G. Those cards and 5G laptops with T700 should become available in Q1 2021.
Thanks to TLS for the tip.