MediaTek Dimensity 1000 5G processor for premium mobile devices was announced in Q4 2019 with eight Cortex-A77/A55 cores, an Arm Mali-G77 MC9, and APU 3.0 AI coprocessor. Since then, several companies have announced plans to launch Dimensity 1000 smartphones with products such as Astro Slide 5G Transformer.
But while there aren’t any Dimensity 1000 phones available for sale just yet (AFAIK), MediaTek has already announced an updated version with Dimensity 1000+ (Dimensity 1000 Plus). The new version of the processor runs the CPU and GPU cores at the same frequencies, and the differences are instead in other specific features of the processor, as we’ve highlighted below.
MediaTek Dimensity 1000+ specification:
- 4x Arm Cortex-A77 @ 2.6GHz
- 4x Arm Cortex-A55 @ 2.0GHz
- DynamIQ heterogeneous multi-processing technology
- GPU – 9-core Arm Mali-G77 MC9
- AI Coprocessor – APU 3.0 hexa-core AI accelerator with 2x big cores, 3x small cores, and 1x tiny core delivering up to 4.5 TOPS. Fully compliant with Android Neural Networks API (Android NNAPI)
- HyperEngine 2.0 with additional Resource Management Engine to ensure optional game performance fluidity & power consumption, an upgraded Networking Engine for call and data concurrency, and intelligent switch between 5G and 4G networks, as well as a Rapid Response Engine for a lag-free gaming experience preventing wireless interference
- Memory I/F – LPDDR4x up to 16GB @ 1866MHz
- Storage – UFS
- Display – Up to 2520 x 1080 resolution @ 90 Hz, FullHD+ resolution @ 120 Hz / 144 Hz
- Encoding – H.264, H.265 / HEVC up to 4K 60FPS
- Playback – H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP-9, AV1 up to 4K 60FPS
- MiraVision technologies with new features including AI-PQ to enhance the picture quality of 4K videos and streams in real-time, “better than HDR10+” picture quality, and SDR to HDR conversion support.
- 2G/3G/4G/5G Multi-Mode
- 2G GSM, EDGE
- 3G CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA), 4G FDD / TDD, LTE Cat-19 DL
- 5G Carrier Aggregation (CA), 5G FDD / TD
- Peak DL/UL – 4.7Gbps / 2.3 Gbps
- Specific Functions – SA & NSA modes; SA Option2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR TDD Band, NR FDD Band, DSS, NR DL 2CC, 200 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, 2×2 MIMO, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- 5G UltraSave power-saving technologies that dynamically adjust the modem’s power configuration and operating frequency according to network conditions and user activities to significantly save power.
- Wi-Fi 6 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2×2 MIMO
- Bluetooth 5.1+
- dual-band GNSS
- 5-core Imagiq+ ISP
- 32+16MP or 80MP rear camera up to 3840×2160
- Camera Features – HDR-ISP (3+2) / Video HDR / Video NR / Video Bokeh / Video EIS / AI-Shutter / AI-AE / AI-AF / AI-AWB / AI-NR HDR / AI-HDR / AI-FD
- Misc – FM Radio
- Manufacturing – 7-nm process
Those are the new features we could identify from the press release, and it’s possible there are some other undocumented changes. But based on the info we have at this time, the performance will be the same, but the new processor can handle FHD+ displays with 144 Hz refresh rate, picture quality should be further increased, gaming may be more enjoyable, and battery life may last longer (vs Dimensity 1000) for people using 5G cellular connectivity.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.