Amlogic has plenty of variants to its S905 processors, and so far I had never heard about Amlogic S905L2 processor that can be found in some Android 9.0 TV boxes sold for a little over $20 including shipping. [Update: I’ve been informed people are not getting boxes with S905L2, but just S905L, nor the advertised amount of memory or storage, notably from Shop5779464]
There are only two such TV boxes listed with the quad-core Cortex-A53 processor so far, and they are basically the same X7 model except for different storage and memory configuration.
X7 TV box specifications:
- Amlogic S905L2 quad-core Cortex-A53 with Arm Mali-450 MP GPU
- System Memory – 2 or 4GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB or 32GB flash storage
- Video Output – HDMI up to 4Kp60 with HDR support, and AV port
- Video Decoding – 4K H.265, H.264
- Networking – 10/100M Ethernet and dual-band 802.11b/g/n WiFi 4
- USB – 2x USB ports
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 105 x 105 x 12 mm
The device ships with a power adapter, an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, and a user manual. It’s quite hard to find any info about S905L2 processor, but it should be similar to the Amlogic S905L processor found in some Xiaomi TV boxes which explains why VP9 is not listed as a codec. One of the differences could be that while S905L supports only up to 2GB RAM, S905L2 can handle up to 4GB.
While S905L2 is mostly new to “The Internet”, some financial document shows a significant number of S905L and S905L2 processors were sold to Skyworth (创维) in 2018, as well as other companies. There’s also an S905L2-B processor likely with a Dolby Audio licenses.