PiccoloSDR – A Raspberry Pi Pico powered SDR working with GNU Radio

There’s a lot you can do with the tiny Raspberry Pi Pico board, but computer student and radio amateur Luigi Cruz decided to go a step further by making Raspberry Pico RP2040 board work as an SDR compatible with GNU Radio open-source toolkit.

The PicoSDR PiccoloSDR project relies on one of the ADC pins from the Raspberry Pi Pico board to sample 8-bit data at around 500 ksps and makes the data available through TCP/IP (emulated via the RNDIS protocol) over the Full Speed USB interface at up to 12 Mbps.

Raspberry Pi Pico SDR

As Luis notes applications are limited due to the low bandwidth, but it’s still a fun project. You can see demos with a web-based tone generator, a PWM generator, and actual audio where we see the spectrum chart, scope plot, and FFT plot updated in real-time.

He has not released the demo code “officially” just yet, but I can see that he committed some “picosdr” code on his pico-stuff Github repository, notably in apps/tcp_server/ where the TCP server code running on Raspberry Pi Pico resides.

Once the code is ready, he’ll probably announce the source code release on the Twitter thread who brought this fun little project to our attention.

[Updated March 12, 2021: Since PicoSDR is trademarked, the project has been renamed to PiccoloSDR]

Support CNX Software! Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples

The comment form collects your name, email and content to allow us keep track of the comments placed on the website. Please read and accept our website Terms and Privacy Policy to post a comment.
newest
Tim
Tim
4 months ago

Isn’t this more like a super basic oscilloscope not an SDR?

Peter G.
Peter G.
4 months ago

A oscilloscope is just a direct sampling SDR.

crashoverride
crashoverride
4 months ago

In order to translate to reality, any time you see a “Raspberry Pi * powered” headline, replace the word “powered” with “interfaced”.

This does not run any DSP operations on the device. Its an “ADC to TCP/IP” interface. The “powered” part takes place on a PC.

James
James
4 months ago

I once tried to power 2 Arduino Nanos from two USB ports on a Raspberry Pi 3B. Each Nano had some current draw from a few GPIOs. It all quickly crashed due to excessive current draw and/or voltage drop.

zoobab
4 months ago

I added a USB hub with 4 huawei 4G dongles to a Bananapi, made a iperf load test, I saw some smoke coming from the board. If you drew too much current from the USB port, it would fry!

Tim
Tim
4 months ago

Thanks crash, I will stick to the excellent blue and blackpill which are cheaper and more capable.

I don’t see where you find the time to answer my questions, somewhere between working on the OGA/S and a full-time job.

zoobab
4 months ago

The new stm32f4 bluepills are better and cheaper to my opinion. I can get 4 of them for the same price I bought the Pico: http://zoobab.com/stm32f401-devboard

schmurtz
schmurtz
4 months ago

So there is at least one useful thing that we can do with this super-mediatised board :p

Advertisements