Qualcomm has just announced an update to its Snapdragon 765G 5G processor with Snapdragon 780G 5G mobile platform equipped with Qualcomm Spectra 570 triple ISP (Image Signal Processor) and a 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine that delivers up to 12TOPS AI performance, or twice that of Snapdragon 765G 5G SoC.
As a “G” part, Snapdragon 780G comes with Snapdragon Elite Gaming features to improve the gaming experience with updateable GPU drivers, ultra-smooth gaming, and True 10-bit HDR gaming. Snapdragon 780G also updates its 5G modem with Snapdragon X53 with peak download speeds of 3.3 Gbps on sub-6 GHz frequencies, and supports premium Wi-Fi 6/6E and Bluetooth audio features offered on Snapdragon 888 premium SoC.
Snapdragon 780G 5G (SM7350-AB) key features and specifications:
- CPU – Octa-core Kryo 670 processor with 1x Arm Cortex-A78 @ 2.4GHz, 3x Arm Cortex-A78 @ 2.2GHz, 4x Arm Cortex-A55 @ 1.9GHz
- GPU – Adreno 642 with support for OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1
- Hexagon 770 DSP – 2nd gen Qualcomm Sensing Hub, large shared AI memory, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Scalar Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX), Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator
- System Memory – Up to 16GB LPDDR4 memory up to 2.1 GHz
- On-Device Display up to FHD+ @ 144 Hz (support for 1600 x 3360 waterfall display)
- External Display up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Features HDR10+, HDR10, up to 10-bit color depth, Rec2020 color gamut
- Triple 14-bit CV-ISPs, Qualcomm Spectra 570 image signal processor, Hardware accelerator for computer vision (CV-ISP)
- Triple Camera – MFNR, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 25 MP
- Dual Camera – MFNR, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 64+20 MP
- Single Camera – Up to 192 MP photo capture, up to 84MP @ 30 fps video capture
- Slow Motion Video Capture: 720p @ 480 FPS
- Video Capture Formats: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG
- Video Codecs – H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
- Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier up to Qualcomm WSA8835,
- Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec up to Qualcomm WCD9385
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- Snapdragon X53 cellular modem
- 5G Spectrum: Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), sub-6 GHz
- 5G sub-6 GHz specs: 100 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO
- Multi SIM: Global 5G Multi-SIM
- Multi-SIM features: Global 5G multi-SIM
- Cellular Technology: 5G NR, LTE including CBRS support, HSPA, WCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE
- Wi-Fi – Tri-band (2.4GHzm 5GHz, 6 GHz) Wi-Fi 6E, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 5, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 3.6 Gbps
- Bluetooth 5.2 with support for aptX Adaptive Audio, LE Audio
- Location – Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, dual-frequency GNSS, NavIC, NavIC enabled, GPS, GNSS, QZSS, SBAS
- Snapdragon X53 cellular modem
- USB – USB 3.1, USB-C
- Fingerprint Sensor: Qualcomm 3D Sonic, Qualcomm 3D Sonic Max
- Secure Processing Unit: Biometric Authentication (Fingerprint, Iris, Voice, Face)
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
- Process – 5 nm
The new Snapdragon 780G processor will get improved CPU performance thanks to the move from Cortex-A76 to Cortex-A78 cores, support for more memory (16GB vs 12GB max), over double the AI performance, be more efficient thanks to AI features and the 5nm process technology, and be one of the first mainstream mobile SoC to support WiFi 6E.
Snapdragon 780G 5G smartphones are expected to become available in Q2 2021. More details may be found on the product page and press release.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.