ODYSSEY-X86J4105 is an Intel Gemini Lake SBC designed for makers with Arduino compatibility thanks to a Microchip SAMD21 microcontroller, as well as Raspberry Pi headers. We reviewed the board and enclosure last year both with Windows 10 Enterprise and Ubuntu 20.04, and we also successfully tested the Arduino and Raspberry Pi GPIO headers with the latter.
But the Intel Celeron J4105 quad-core Gemini Lake processor has been scheduled for discontinuance since last year, and the last order on January 22, 2021, and the final shipment on planned for July 9, 2021. So Seeed Studio had to find a replacement, and they’ve now launched ODYSSEY-X86J4125 single board computer with the same features, but switching to a slightly faster, and still available, Intel Celeron J4125 processor.
ODYSSEY-X86J4125800 SBC specifications:
- SoC – Intel Celeron J4125 quad-core Gemini Lake Refresh processor @ 2.0 / 2.7 GHz (Turbo) / 2.4 GHz (Turbo all cores) with Intel UHD Graphics 600 @ 250/750 MHz; 10W TDP
- System Memory – 8GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Optional 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (fitted to ODYSSEY Blue mini PC)
- 1x SATA III data connector & 3x SATA power headers
- Micro SD card socket
- Coprocessor – Microchip ATSAMD21G18 32-bit Arm Cortex M0+ MCU
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.0a up to 4K (4096×2160) @ 60 Hz
- DisplayPort 1.2 up to 4K (4096×2160) @ 60 Hz
- Audio – HDMI; microphone + headphone combo connector; front panel audio connector
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45) via Intel I211AT PCIe Gigabit controller; Wake-on-LAN and PXE support
- Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac GHz HT160 & Bluetooth 5.0
- Optional 3G/4G cellular connectivity via M.2 card and on-board SIM card socket
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Type-A ports, 1x USB 3.1 Type-A port, 1x USB 3.1 Type-C port
- 40-Pin header compatible with Raspberry Pi
- 28-pin header connected to SAMD21G18
- M.2 Key B 2242/2280 socket with SATA III, USB2.0, UIM
- M.2 Key M, 2242/2280 socket with PCIe 2.0 ×4;
- Security – Built-in TPM 2.0 chip
- Debugging – 4-pin UART header for SAMD21G18
- Misc – 4-pin header for PWM fan,4-pin header for power and switch, JST header for RTC battery
- Power Supply
- 12-19V via DC Jack 5.5/2.1mm
- 5-12V via USB-C port (USB PD support)
- Dimensions – 110×110 mm
- Certifications – FCC, CE
All the rest of the specifications are the same, and Seeed Studio is reusing the same PCB as indicated by the markings. The Intel Celeron J4105 is a quad-core processor @ 1.5 GHz (base frequency) and 2.5 GHz (Turbo), so you’d get a small performance improvement with Celeron J4125 clocked at 2.0 / 2.7 GHz, while the GPU clocks are unchanged.
ODYSSEY-X86J4105800 (800 = 8GB RAM) used to be sold for $188 plus shipping but got a 15 to 20% price increase recently due to chips shortages, and now the new ODYSSEY-X86J4125 is sold for $218 without storage, or $269 with a 128 GB SSD and Re_Computer case.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.