Ebyte E104-BT11 is a Bluetooth Mesh module offered in four variants with support for gateways (G) and node (N) versions, as well as PCB or IPEX antenna versions.
Interestingly it is based on Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 Cortex-M33 microcontroller also found in ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle, so it’s not impossible that it could be repurposed for Zigbee or Thread with firmware from Silabs.
- Wireless MCU – Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 Arm Cortex-M33 microcontroller @ up to 80 MHz with DSP and FPU, up to 1024 kB flash, up to 96 kB RAM, 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15.4 for Bluetooth LE, Zigbee, or Thread
- Wireless connectivity
- Bluetooth Mesh/BLE support with default firmware, up to 10,922 devices supported
- Max Tx power – 20 dBm
- Rx sensitivity- -88 to -97 dBm (-97 dBm typ.)
- Max data rate – 1Mbps
- Antenna – PCB antenna up to 200-meter range, or IPX antenna up to 300-meter range
- 26 castellated holes with GPIOs, PWM, UART (host connection), Reset, and power signals
- Supply Voltage – 1.9 to 3.8V (3.3V typ.)
- Power Consumption
- TX current- 178mA @ 20dBm
- RX current – 10.8mA
- Sleep current – 1μA
- Dimensions | Weight
- PCB antenna version – 19 x 13mm | 0.8 grams
- IPX antenna version – 16 x 13mm | 0.8 grams
- Temperature range – -40 to +85°C (Industrial grade)
Typical use cases for E104-BT11 module and Bluetooth Mesh in general, include Smart Home, building automation, light control, wireless sensor networks, and all sorts of Internet of Things applications. As noted in the introduction it might be possible to update the firmware for Zigbee and/or Thread connectivity allowing integration into open-source automation frameworks like Home Assistant or OpenHAB.
Ebyte E104-BT11 Bluetooth Mesh module can be purchased on Aliexpress either as E104-BT11G for the gateway module or E104-BT11N for the node module with pricing starting at around $8. There may also be additional details on the manufacturer’s website.
Thanks to Hedda for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
2 Replies to “Ebyte E104-BT11 Bluetooth Mesh module features Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 MCU”
I believe you’re off by an order of magnitude on the price, it’s closer to $8 than $80!
Silabs EFR32 (EFR32MG12 and EFR32MG21) supports Thread firmware and also support Project Connected Home over IP (a.k.a. Project CHIP)