Teensy 4.0, a low-cost board based on NXP i.MX RT1062 Arm Cortex-M7 crossover processor, is now getting a little brother with MicroMod Teensy following the same M.2 form factor as other Sparkfun MicroMod boards.
Born from a collaboration between PJRC and Sparkfun, MicroMod Teensy has essentially the specs of Teensy 4.0 but with larger flash memory, and the board will be fully supported by the Teensyduino add-on to the Arduino IDE as noted by Paul Stoffregen on Twitter.
- SoC – NXP i.MX RT1062 Arm Cortex-M7 processor at 600 MHz with 1024KB RAM (512KB is tightly coupled),
- Storage – 16MB serial flash (instead of 2MB on Teensy 4.0)
- M.2 MicroMod connector with
- USB Device up to 480Mbit/sec: Capable of enumerating as a USB keyboard, mouse, joystick, MIDI, audio, and more
- USB Host up to 480Mbit/sec: Capable of interfacing to USB flash drives, mice, keyboards, and more
- 7x Serial Ports
- 2x SPI
- 4x I2C Bus
- 1x CAN-Bus
- 1x I2S Digital Audio
- 1x SDIO for SD
- 2x Dedicated Analog Pins (Up to 14 available for use)
- 2x Dedicated PWM Pins (Up to 22 available for use)
- Supply Voltage – 3.3V
- Dimensions – 22 x 22 mm
It would not exactly be convenient to use MicroMod modules standalone, so the tiny boards are designed to be plugged into MicroMod carrier boards that provide access to I/Os, USB ports, a display, a camera, sensors, microphones, a MicroSD card socket for data logging, and more.
MicroMod Teensy has been designed in EAGLE, and the project is open-source with hardware files and documentation released on Github. You can also learn how to get started on the Sparkfun Learn website.
The “SparkFun MicroMod Teensy Processor” M.2 module is sold for $19.95 on Sparkfun or exactly the same price as the Teensy 4.0 board.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “MicroMod Teensy brings Teensy 4.0 board to M.2 form factor”
So basically its just a bga to m2 adapter?