Amlogic S928X multi-core Cortex-A76/A55 8K media processor, which may have been initially known as S908X, is being showcased at ICB2022 in Amsterdam in the “SEI 8K Box” developed by SEI Robotics.
Amlogic S908X/S928X was first discovered in a roadmap in 2019 and was expected to launch by the end of 2020 at the time. But after a long wait of nearly three years, the Amlogic S928X processor is finally showing in SEI 8K box with an HDMI 2.1a 8K video interface, supports for HDR and advanced audio codecs like Dolby Atmos and DTS, and support for Smart Home functions through an IoT module with WiFi 6E, Zigbee and more.
SEI 8K box preliminary specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S928X multi-core Cortex-A76/A55 processor, next-gen GPU (likely Mali-G610?); 12nm process
- System Memory – 64-bit DDR
- Storage – eMMC flash
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.1a up to 8Kp60 (7680 x 4320 resolution) with HDR10+/HLS, Dolby Vision, HDR Vivid
- AV port for composite video (based on the photo…)
- Video codecs – 8Kp60 AV1/AVS3/VP9/H.265/AVS2 decoder
- Stereo analog audio via AV port
- S/PDIF audio output
- Dolby Audio, Dolby Atoms, and DTS
- USB – 2x USB ports, 1x USB Type-C port
The Homatics-branded TV box can also be used as a Smart Home gateway through Google Assistant and the Homatics app. Despite the box being jointly announced by Amlogic and SEI Robotics, we have limited information about the Amlogic S928X from the IBC 2022 press release and the 2019 roadmap, since Amlogic did not feel the need to provide more details about the processor at this time. We don’t even know which operating system is running on the device, although I’d expect it to be Android 12.
The companies did not provide any available information for the box or processor.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.