MediaTek Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528 octa-core Arm processors are designed for entry-level Chromebooks with all-day battery life and a display up to 2520 x 1080 resolutions.
As time passes “entry-level” gets a new meaning as the new SoCs are equipped with two Cortex-A76 cores @ up to 2.2 GHz, six Cortex-A55 cores @ 2.0 GHz, and an Arm Mali-G52 GPU. That’s almost Rockchip RK3588 territory although not quite…
MediaTek Kompanio 528 and 520 specifications:
- Octa-core CPU
- 2x Arm Cortex-A76 cores up to 2.2GHz (Kompanio 520 is limited to 2.0 GHz)
- 6x Arm Cortex-A55 cores up to 2GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali G52 MC2 2EE
- AI accelerator – Dual-core AI processing unit (APU)
- Memory – LPDDR4x up to 3733Mbps
- Storage – eMMC 5.1 flash with hardware command queue
- 2520 x 1080 @ 60Hz
- 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (Ext)
- Video Encoding – 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps H.264 or H.265/HEVC
- Video Decoding – 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps H.264, H.265/HEVC, VP9
- Camera – Up to 32MP
- Audio – Hi-Fi 5 DSP
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi via MediaTek Filogic Wi-Fi 6 chip
- USB – 1x USB 3.0,1x USB 2.0 OTG
The only difference between the Kompanio 520 and 528 is the slightly higher Cortex-A76 cores’ frequency of 2.2 GHz for the latter against 2.0 GHz for the former. Compared to the earlier Kompanio 500 series, the new processors deliver up to 80% single-core CPU performance, and 15% multi-core performance, while the GPU is over 20% faster, and storage performance has doubled.
Chromebooks powered by the Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528 chipsets are expected by H1 2023. More details may be found on the product page and press release.
Thanks to TLS for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
Hmm no UFS and no PCIe. Rk3588 has 4x PCIe 3.0, which is more than even the top of the line mt8195.
Not x86, no AV1 decode, very late to arrive, confusing new naming scheme. MT8192 and MT8195 took about a year after their announcement to reach the market.