MECOOL KM7 Plus is a TV box powered by an Amlogic S905Y4 quad-core Cortex-A35 processor and running Google TV OS based on Android 11 TV OS, instead of just the more common Android 11 TV OS.
Amlogic S905Y4 quad-core Cortex-A35 processor was first unveiled in January 2021 for 4K Android TV dongles with AV1 support, but we had not seen many hardware platforms with the process apart from Khadas VIM1S SBC for which we just published a review with Ubuntu 22.04.
MECOOL KM7 PLUS specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905Y4 quad-core Arm Cortex-A35 @ up to 2.0 GHz with Arm Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 2 GB LPDDR4-2400
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash, micro SD slot
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.1 up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDR10+, HRD10, HLG, CEC, HDCP 2.2/2.3
- AV port with compositive video (and analog audio)
- Video Decoder
- H.265, AV1, VP9, AVS2 up to 4Kp60
- H.264 up to 4Kp30
- Multi-video decoding up to 4x 1080p60
- Audio – Optical S/PDIF, analog audio via AV port, digital audio via HDMI port
- 10/100M Fast Ethernet port
- Dual-band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 2T2R and Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR, Net, and Power LEDs
- Power Supply – 12V/1A via DC jack
- Dimensions – 98 x 98 x 20.7 mm
- Weight – 100 grams
The TV box ships with a 12V/1A power adapter, an infrared and Bluetooth voice remote control, an HDMI cable, and a user manual. MECOOL says the KM7 PLUS runs “Android 11.0 GTV Google TV system” and is pre-certified for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
We first wrote about Google TV in 2020 when it was launched on Google Chromecast with Google TV. At the time, we were told that Google TV is basically Android TV OS with a slightly different launcher with a focus on content rather than apps. But it might be worth revising the question “What is the difference between Google TV and Android TV?” on the official Google TV website.
Google TV is the new, personalized experience that comes built-in to smart TVs and streaming devices from top brands. Google TV is powered by an underlying operating system called Android TV OS. Some smart TVs and streaming devices are powered by Android TV OS but do not have the Google TV interface. These devices are referred to as Android TV devices.
The Amlogic S905Y4 is an entry-level processor that’s supposed to be a cost-down version of the Amlogic S905X4, and is only really suitable for media playback, as other apps and gaming performance will be seriously limited.
Pricing is rather confusing as MECOOL sells the KM7 Plus for $78.99 US, but if you add a 2.4 GHz wireless keyboard, the total goes down to $77.33… [Update: I can see the 15KM7PLUS coupon brings the price down by 15%]. The MECOOL KM7 model with the same specifications but running Android 11 TV OS without Netflix certification instead of Google TV goes for about $57 on Aliexpress including shipping.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.