Variscite VAR-SOM-AM62 is a System-on-Module (SoM) powered by a Texas Instruments Ti AM625x quad-core Cortex-A53 processor @ up to 1.4 GHz with a 400MHz Cortex-M4F cores and 333MHz PRU real-time co-processors to control I/Os.
The module also supports up to 4GB RAM and 128GB eMMC flash, features a single or dual-band WiFi + BT/BLE5.2 module, and offers up to 3x CAN Bus, dual GbE, audio, camera in, and dual USB, among other interfaces. It is designed for industrial applications with a -40 to 85°C operating temperature range.
- SoC – Texas Instruments Sitara AM62x (AM6252 or AM6254) with
- Up to 4x Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1.4 GHz
- 1x Ar, Cortex M4F up to @ 400 MHz
- 1x PRUSS up to @ 333 MHz (only in industrial-grade modules)
- GPUs – 3D GPU with OpenGL ES 3.1 & Vulkan1.2, 2D graphics engine
- System Memory – 512MB to 4GB DDR4-3200 RAM @ 800MHz
- Storage – 8GB to 128GB eMMC flash for OS boot and storage
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet PHY
- Wireless module – Certified Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n WiFi 5, Bluetooth: 5.2/BLE
- Audio – On-module audio codec
- 200-pin SO-DIMM edge connector with
- Media and data storage
- GPMC parallel bus
- Display – 2x 4-lane OLDI/LVDS interfaces up to 1920×1080 @ 60fps, resistive touch controller
- Networking – 2x Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces
- Camera – 4-lane MIPI CSI2 interface
- Analog stereo line in
- Analog headphones out
- Digital microphone
- Up to 3x Digital audio (McASP)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Host/Device
- Low-speed I/Os
- SPI, I2C, UART, ePWM, eCAP, eQEP, up to 3x CAN FD
- Debugging – JTAG
- Media and data storage
- Supply Voltage – 3.3V
- Dimensions – 67.6 x 33 x 3.4 mm (VAR-SOM Pin2Pin compliant)
- Temperature Range – Industrial: -40°C to 85°C
Variscite provides support for Linux (Yocto, Debian, Boot2Qt), Android, and FreeRTOS for the module, as well as evaluation kits with the Symphony carrier board and an optional LVDS display with a touch panel. The wiki is up with currently under construction with limited information. The VAR-SOM-AM62 AM625x system-on-module is compatible with the VAR-SOM Pin2Pin family that already includes modules powered by NXP i.MX6UL/6ULL, NXP i.MX 8M NANO/MINI/PLUS and i.MX 93, up to the higher-end i.MX 8X and 8QuadMax SoCs.
Pricing the Variscite VAR-SOM-AM62 system-on-module starts at $33, with a longevity of 15 years, and the company says the solution is suitable for embedded industrial products that require high performance and low power. More details may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.