Most mini PCs ship with Windows, or no OS at all for barebone models, but Linux-hardware specialist System76 offers the Meerkat mini PC with either Pop!_OS 22.04 or Ubuntu 22.04 with a choice of processors from the 12th Gen Alder Lake, 11th Gen Tiger Lake, or 10th Gen Comet Lake families.
All models support up to 64GB RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD storage, and are equipped with four HDMI/DisplayPort video outputs, Ethernet, and USB ports. There’s also a Tall version of the Meerkat that adds a 2.5-inch SATA bat, and the Alder Lake models, called Meer7, specifically supports the more recent USB4 and 2.5GbE interfaces.
System76 Meerkat “Meer7” (Alder Lake) specifications:
- Alder Lake P-Series SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Core i3-1220P 10-core/12-thread (2P+8E) processor clocked at up to 4.4 GHz with 12 MB cache, 64EU Intel HD graphics; TDP: 28W
- Intel Core i5-1240P 12-core/16-thread (4P+8E) processor clocked at up to 4.4 GHz with 12 MB cache, 80EU Intel Iris Xe Graphics; TDP: 28W
- Intel Core i7-1260P 12-core/16-thread (4P+8E) processor clocked at up to 4.7 GHz with 18 MB cache, 96EU Intel Iris Xe Graphics; TDP: 28W
- System Memory – 64 GB dual- channel DDR4 at 3200 MHz
- Short model: 1x M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD, up to 8TB
- Tall model: 1x M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD, and 2.5-inch SATA drive for up to a combined 16TB storage
- Video Output
- 2x HDMI 2.1 ports
- 2x DisplayPort 1.4a via USB Type-C ports
- 3.5mm headphone/mic combo jack
- 7.1 channel audio via HDMI, USB Type-C
- 2.5GbE RJ45 port
- Intel WiFi 6E and Bluetooth module
- USB – 4x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A ports, 1x USB 2.0 Type-A port, 2x USB4 / Thunderbolt 4 Type-C ports
- Misc – Kensington lock slot
- Power Supply
- Core i3-1220P – 19V, 90W
- Core i5-1240P and i7-1260P – 20V, 120W
- Short model: 117 x 112 x 37 mm
- Tall model: 117 × 112 x 54 mm
The Comet Lake and Tiger Lake models have a similar, but yet different design, and are offered with the following processors:
- Meer5 (Comet Lake)
- Intel i3-10110U dual-core/quad-thread processor clocked at 2.10 up to 4.10 GHz with 4 MB cache
- Intel i5-10210U quad-core/octa-thread processor clocked at 1.60 up to 4.20 GHz with 6 MB cache
- Intel i7-10710U 6-core/12-thread processor clocked at 1.1 up to 4.7 GHz with 12 MB cache
- Meer6 (Tiger Lake)
- Intel i3-1115G4 dual-core/quad-thread processor clocked up to 4.1 GHz with 6 MB cache
- Intel i5-1135G7 quad-core/octa-thread processor clocked up to 4.2 GHz with 8 MB cache
- Intel i7-1165G7 quad-core/octa-thread processor clocked up to 4.7 GHz with 12 MB cache
The mini PC is offered with either Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS or Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. The former is developed and maintained by System76, built upon Ubuntu with built-in encryption, and designed for “STEM and creative professionals who use their computer as a tool to discover and create”.
The price for the Meerkat Linux mini PC starts at $499 for a model based on a Core i3-10110U processor, 8GB RAM, and a 128GB SSD, $559 for a Core i3-1135G4 model, and $599 for the “Meer7” Meerkat mini PC powered by an Intel Alder Lake 12th-gen processor. You’ll find more details on the product page, where you can also design and order your own Meerkat Linux mini PC.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.