AAEON BOXER-8224AI is a thin and lightweight AI edge embedded system solution based on NVIDIA Jetson Nano system-on-module and designed for drones, or other space-constrained applications such as robotics.
AAEON BOXER products are usually Embedded Box PCs with an enclosure, but the BOXER-8224AI is quite different as it’s a compact and 22mm thin board with MIPI CSI interfaces designed to add computer vision capability to unmanned areal vehicles (UAV), as well as several wafers for dual GbE, USB, and other I/Os.
- AI Accelerator – NVIDIA Jetson Nano
- CPU – Arm Cortex-A57 quad-core processor
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage Device – 16GB eMMC 5.1 flash
- Dimensions – 70 x 45 mm
- Storage – microSD slot
- Display Interface – 1x Mini HDMI 2.0 port
- Camera interface – 2x MIPI CSI connectors
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet via wafer connector (1x NVIDIA, 1x Intel i210)
- Optional WiFi, Bluetooth, and/or cellular connectivity (see Expansion section)
- 4x USB 3.2 Gen 1 via 2x 19-pin connectors
- 1x micro USB port to flash the OS only
- 2x RS232/RS485 via 9-pin wafer connector
- 1x UART and 2x I2C via 9-pin wafer connector
- 6x GPIO via 9-pin wafer connector
- M.2 2230 E Key socket Wifi/BT
- 1x Mini Card + SIM card slot for 4G LTE
- Recovery button
- Pin header for Reset and Power buttons
- 2x LAN LED combos via 2x 6-pin wafer connectors
- Power Supply
- 12V to 24V DC input via wafer connector
- 5V DC output via 2-pin wafer connector
- Dimensions – 120 x 80 x 22mm
- Weight – Around 100 grams
- Temperature Range – Operating: -20°C ~ 60°C with 0.5 m/s airflow; storage: -45°C ~ 80°C
- Storage Humidity – 5 ~ 95% @ 40°C, non-condensing
- Anti-Vibration – 3.5Grm / 5~500Hz / X/Y/Z axis, random (by M.2 storage)
- Certifications – CE/FCC Class A
The BOXER-8224AI board runs Linux from the NVIDIA Jetpack 4.6 and above (but not Jetpack 5.x), and there’s also a BSP from AAEON that works on PCs running Ubuntu 18.04. Additional information including a datasheet and a more detailed user manual for the hardware and BSP installation can be found on the product page.
Samples of AAEON’s BOXER-8224AI AI Edge embedded system can be purchased for $525 on the company’s eShop. The kit includes the Jetson Nano module, but not the power supply and cord which can be purchased as options. There’s no word about other cables, but the user manual lists an optional BOXER-8224AI Development Cable Kit (SKU: 9651822400) that comes with all the cables for the wafer connectors.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.