Gateworks Venice GW7400 is a rugged industrial single board computer for networking and gateway applications with six Gigabit Ethernet ports, and one M.2 and three mini PCIe sockets for WiFi, cellular, and other wireless options.
We first mentioned the GW7400 board around three years ago, when the company introduced the Venice family powered by NXP i.MX 8M processor. But the board launched today has a different design with more Ethernet, an NXP i.MX8M Plus AI processor, up to 4GB RAM, up to 64GB eMMC flash, and various interfaces such as USB 3.0, dual CAN Bus, DIO, I2C, SPI, and UART.
Gateworks GW7400 specifications:
- SoC – NXP i.MX 8M Plus
- CPU – Quad-core Cortex-A53 @ up to 1.6 GHz (industrial-grade)
- Real-time core – Arm Cortex-M7 @ up to 800 MHz
- GPU – Vivante GC7000UL 3D GPU, Vivante GC520L 2D GPU
- VPU – Up to 1080p60 video encoding and decoding
- AI accelerator – 2.3 TOPS NPU
- DSP – HiFi 4
- System Memory – Up to 4GB LPDDR4 (1GB by default)
- Storage – Up to 64GB eMMC Flash (8GB by default)
- Display Interface – MIPI DSI connector for LCD panels
- Camera Interface – MIPI CSI connector
- Audio – I2S Audio connector
- 6x Gigabit Ethernet ports, some with PoE support (passive or 802.3at/af PoE)
- Optional Laird Sterling 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 & BLE 5.2 module
- Optional Ublox ZOE-MQ8 GNSS GPS Receiver with PPS
- Optional cellular connectivity via M.2 B-socket socket and dual SIM card socket, or mini PCIe
- Other mini PCIe options: Iridium Satellite module, Sub-1GHz & 2.4 Ghz radio module, 802.11ah WiFi HaLow module, LTE Cat M1 module, etc…
- USB – USB 3.0 Type-C port, 2x USB2.0 ports
- RS232/RS485 and TTL serial port
- 2x CAN bus
- Sensor – 3-axis accelerometer
- 3x Mini PCIe sockets with USB 2.0 and PCIe 2.0 up to 15W
- 1x M.2 B-key socket with USB 3.0 up to 15W
- 1x I2C, 1x SPI, digital I/Os
- Security – TPM 2.0
- Misc – Gateworks System Control with Real-time clock (RTC) with coin cell battery, voltage & temperature monitor, fan control, serial configuration EEPROM, watchdog, etc…
- Power Supply
- 8-60V DC via power barrel jack or PoE
- Reverse voltage protection
- Consumption – 6W typ. (250 mA @ 24V)
- Dimensions – 140 x 100 x 21mm
- Weight – 130 grams
- Temperature Range – -40°C to +85°C
- MTBF – 23.99 years at 25°C
Gateworks provides an Ubuntu Linux BSP for their Venice boards which includes the GSC (Gateworks System Controller) Firmware, Arm Trusted Firmware, DDR controller Firmware, U-Boot bootloader, the Linux 5.6 kernel, and a rootfs.
It’s also possible to use mainline Linux, and although some features such as the hantro-h11 jpeg video encoder are missing in mainline, Gateworks does usually have separate drivers for those. More technical details about the hardware and software, as well as a getting started guide can be found in the wiki.
Gateworks says the board has been “released” so I’d assume that means it’s available now, but pricing is not public. Further information may also be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.