PALMSHELL NeXT H2 is an affordable AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G-powered micro server, also available as an SBC for developers, that features two 10GbE SFP+ cages and one 2.5GbE RJ45 port, as well as expansion sockets for wireless connectivity.
The system supports up to 32GB RAM plus an M.2 NVMe SSD and two SATA drives for storage, offers several wireless connectivity options with WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, and 4G LTE/5G, and is equipped with two 4Kp60-capable HDMI ports, and four USB ports.
PALMSHELL NeXT H2 specifications:
- SoC – AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G dual-core/quad-thread processor @ 2.4GHz up to 3.3GHz with AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics; TDP set to 25W
- System Memory – Optional 8GB or 16GB DDR4 @ 2400 MT/s via 2x SO-DIMM slots
- Optional 256GB or 512GB NVMe (PCIe 3.0) SSD via M.2 Key-N 2280 socket
- 2x SATA III connector
- MicroSD card socket
- Video Output – 2x HDMI port up to 4Kp60, eDP connector (on SBC only since it’s blocked by the enclosure otherwise)
- 2x 10GbE SFP+ cages
- 1x 2.5GbE RJ45 port
- Optional Intel AX210NGW (Wi-Fi 6E / BT5.2) via M.2 E-Key 2230 socket plus two antennas
- 1x M.2 B-key 3042 socket for 4G LTE or 5G module
- Up to 6x external antennas
- USB – 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – Customized copper heatsink with 3000 RPM PWM speed control fan
- Power Supply – 12V to 19V DC via 5.5/2.5mm jack, at least 65W (not included)
The Palmshell Next H2 is supposed to support multiple operating systems including Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Fedora, Debian, OpenWrt, Windows, pfSense, and ROS, but the support page only lists download links to drivers and tools for Windows 10/11, as well as the BIOS, at this time.
AMD Ryzen Embedded R-series processors typically deliver CPU and GPU performance slightly better than a quad-core Pentium J5005 Gemini Lake processor, but since the TDP has been set to 25W instead of the 15W default, it should be quite better for this specific device. While it’s marketed as a micro server, its feature set makes it suitable for applications beyond networking, and the company – named Palm Computer (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd – says it is also suitable for video surveillance and as a productivity workstation.
The Palmshell Next H2 is available for purchase for as low as $199 on Arace Tech website for the SBC without memory, storage, or wireless connectivity. The barebone model adding a metal enclosure sells for $249, and two models with 8GB RAM/256GB SSD and 16GB/512GB configurations, plus the Intel AX210NGW WiFi 6E/BT 5.2 module are sold for $299 and $349 respectively. None of the options include a power supply, so you’ll need to source your own, and it could be an old 19V laptop power supply as long as it can deliver 65W and comes with a 5.5/2.5mm DC jack or an adapter. More details may also be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.