Linaro Connect Europe 2013 Sessions and Mini-Summit
Linaro Connect Europe 2013 (LCE13) is taking place in Dublin, Ireland on July 8 – 12, 2013. If you are not there, you can still follow the event remotely as the event schedule is available with tracks focused on Android, Builds and Baselines, Enterprise, Graphics and Multimedia, Linux Kernel, Network, Project Management Tools and Training, and the Testing and Validation mini-summit will also take place at the same time. There will be hacking and lab sessions each day (except on Friday) where you can expect to learn useful skills.
I’ve selected 2 sessions per day that I think might be particularly interesting.
- 10:00 – 10:45 – ARMv8 Status and Updates
- Current Status of v8 tree
- What’s merged?
- What’s features are next priorities?
- Platform Updates
- What members should know about adding new v8 platforms
- 12:00 – 13:00 – How to make Android more efficient for entry level products
The main objective of this session is “to discuss” on how to :
- Identify the painful areas that makes Android less efficient for entry level products?
- Work together to “re”-engineer the software stack for better efficiency?
- Upstream. Will Google accept the changes? What if not?
- 10:00 – 10:45 / 11:00 – 12:00 – ARM SOC Tree/Consolidation Update (Part 1 & Part 2)
- Discuss current status of consolidation work
- Single zImage
- Driver subsystem consolidation
- Define next set of priorities for consolidation
- Discuss next steps in DT adoption and enablement
- 10:00 – 10:45 – Engineering Builds – Reviews
- Fedora (ARMv7, ARMv8)
- OpenEmbedded (ARMv7, ARMv8, LNG/big endian)
Linaro uses OpenEmbedded to validate our toolchains and jumpstart new platforms such as Aarch64. Now the usage is extending to new working groups, and we have to plan to ensure our openembedded setup serves developers best. New things to support include bigendian support, stable distribution base, yocto/poky based images and support of group or member specific images. We need to check how the new
requirements affects our jenkins based CI and LAVA testing. This is also an open venue for developers to voice requests on how our OE setup could be developed further.
- Ubuntu (ARMv7, ARMv8)
- 12:00 – 13:00 – Introduction to OpenEmbedded/Yocto Cross-Compile Environment
- Overall OpenEmbedded/Yocto introduction
- Clear up the confusion between OE, Yocto Project and Poky
- Introduce the basic concepts behind OE (recipes, layers, packages, images, machines, distro, toolchain, SDK, ptest, sstate …)
- Reuse as much as possible existing material from the Yocto Project
- Present Linaro processes used in the OE context : CI, manifest, meta-linaro.
This sessions precedes OpenEmbedded afternoon 2-hour lab session.
- 11:00 – 12:00 – Android Clang
Building Android with clang — what we’ve done already, where problems occur, and how to go about fixing them.
- 12:00 – 13:00 – Mobile: UEFI future directions
Discuss current community directions, what makes sense as next step.
- 11:00 – 12:00 – Embedded Linux / Internet of Things
- Present results of Grant Likely/ David Rusling’s researches (CTO office), general directions
- Discuss one or two topics that may drive work in the core teams
- 12:00 – 13:00 – ARMv8 Graphical Stack
This session reviews current activities to enable various parts of the graphics stack on Linux for aarch64 using the simulator. We’ll discuss what the Linaro team has been up to, what can be done, entertain requests and coordinate between those willing to lend a hand.