Intel Announces its First “Bay Trail” Fanless NUC Kit
Intel already announced a Bay Trail NUC selling for $140 earlier this year, but despite the low power dissipation (7.5W TDP) of the Intel N2820 processor, it requires a fan for cooling. The company has now unveiled its first fanless mini PC with Intel NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE powered by Intel Atom E3815 Bay Trail-I processor with 5W TDP. This NUC is destined for industrial and enterprise solutions such as digital signage, point-of-sales, kiosks, and thin clients.
- SoC – Intel Atom E3815 single core processor @ 1.46GHz single core with 512KB cache and 5W TDP, coupled with Intel HD Graphics up to 400 MHz.
- System Memory – Up 8 GB 1.35V, 1333/1600 MHz (down clocked to 1066 MHz) DDR3L SO-DIMM
- Storage – 4-GB eMMC, support for one internal 2.5″ SATA HDD or SDD (up to 9.5mm thick)
- Video Output:
- 1x HDMI 1.4a
- 1x Embedded DisplayPort* (eDP) 1.3 (2-lane with backlight and adjustable voltage/timings)
- 1x VGA
- Audio – Multi-channel digital audio via HDMI interface, headphone/microphone jack
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 2x USB 2.0 ports, and 3x internal USB 2.0 ports
- Serial – 2x serial port headers (TXD/RXD/RTS/CTS, w/5V transceivers)
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet port, Half-length PCIe mini-card slot and wireless antennas pre-assembled (for wireless card support)
- Expansion header with DMIC, AppLaunch GPIO, HDMI_CEC, SMBus, I2C[0:1], PWM[0:1] w/5V buffers, 1.8/3.3/5 Vstby power
- Misc – Discrete Trusted Platform Module (TPM 1.2), Watchdog timer,
- Power – 12V, 36W wall-mount AC-DC power adapter. 12-24V DC internal power header.
- Dimensions – 190mm x 116mm x 40mm
The kit includes Intel NUC Board DE3815TYBE with enclosure, a vertical stand, a VESA mount bracket with screws (75x75mm and 100x100mm compatible), a 12V/3A power adapter with multi-countries AC plugs, an Intel Atom sticker, and an integration guide. It can run Windows Embedded 8 Standard (WES 8), WES 7, or various Linux distributions. Intel promises a 3-year product life cycle, and 3-year advanced warranty replacement.
The latest Intel NUC is expected to start shipping on April 28, but price has not been disclosed. You can find more information on the product page.