Variscite VAR-SOM-SD600 System-on-Module Features Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8064 SoC
It turns out Compulab is not the only (Israeli) company to have announced a Qualcomm Snapdradon 600 CoM this month, as Variscite has unveiled VAR-SOM-SD600 system-on-module with Qualcomm APQ8064 quad core SoC, up to 2GB DDR3, up to 64GB eMMC, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth BLE connectivity, and various signals available via a 314-pin MXM 3.0 connector.
VAR-SOM-SD600 / VAR-SOM-APQ8064 specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (APQ8064) quad core Krait 300 processor @ 1.7GHz with Adreno 320 GPU and Hexagon QDSP6 DSP
- System Memory – Up to 2GB DDR3 (Options: 512 MB , 1024 MB)
- Storage – Up to 64GB on-board eMMC (Options: 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB). 2x SD / MMC and SATA 1.5Gbps interface (via connector)
- HDMI 1.3a, up to 1920 x 1080
- LVDS, up to 2048 x 1536 24-bit
- DSI, up to 2048 x 1535 24-bit
- Audio – Headphone driver, analog/digital microphone, Line In/Out, I2S interface, WCD9311 audio codec.
- Camera – 2x CSI interfaces
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, Dual-band WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n + optional MIMO, and Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (QSA6234x module)
- Other I/Os
- PCI Express Gen 2.0 interface
- Up to 3 USB2.0 high-speed ports
- Up to 3 UART ports (up to 3.6 Mbps), up to 6 I2C interfaces, up to 6 SPI interfaces
- Misc – RTC on SoM, JTAG
- Power – 3-4.5V supply voltage, 1.8V for digital I/O. PMM8920 PMIC
- Connector – 314-pin MXM 3.0 edge connector
- Dimensions – 56 x 82 x 3.6 mm
- Temperature range – Commercial: 0° to 70° C; Extended: -20° to 70° C and Industrial: -40° to 85° C.
The company provides Android 4.2.2 (Kitkat 4.4 in July) and soon Linux support for the module, but not Windows Embedded Compact. A carrier board, VAR-SD600CustomBoard, is also available for evaluation and development purpose. The carrier board can interface with a 7″ capacitive touchscreen as well as two OV5640 CMOS sensors. Public documentation include the SoM datasheet, the custom board schematics (PDF), the mechanical design files (DXF and 3D), as well as an Android and Linux Wiki (WIP).
Variscite VAR-SOM-SD600 and VAR-S600 Custom Board appear to be available now, but pricing has not been disclosed. Further details, including the documents and SoM options, can be found on Variscite VAR-SOM-SD600 page.