62 responses

1. ben
    July 21, 2014

Do all 3 solutions shown above use the ZaZaRemote app software?

As an english alternative to buying the 3.5mm ZaZaRemote from Taobao, seems like you can get it on ebay, although it’s $26.

I wonder if it’s possible to transmit IR signals on the ZaZaRemote hardware, but without the use of their software/database.

For example, can I use open source software (OpenRemote/IRule/IrScrutinizer/IrMaster/AnalysIR/Audacity/etc) to generate the exact pattern and carrier frequency (38khz, 56khz, 60khz, 455khz) I want to transmit?

Although for the higher frequencies, I doubt the audio jack (3-30khz?) will work, and instead will need an ir specific solution (globalcache etc)

2. cnxsoft
    July 21, 2014

@ben
    Yes, all three solutions works with ZaZaRemote.

I don’t know if you can use another app with it.

3. Franek
    July 21, 2014
  4. Stane1983
    July 21, 2014

How phone recognizes IR transmitter connected to headphone input? If as non-existing headphones then it’s useless as you cant use your phone and ir remote functionality at the same time.

5. cnxsoft
    July 21, 2014

@Stane1983
    It should work just like Pressy (http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/08/30/pressy-adds-a-physical-button-via-your-phones-headphone-jack/), or this NXP development kit (http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/05/29/nxp-smartphone-quick-jack-solution-connects-to-your-smartphone-audio-jack-and-interfaaces-with-sensors-hmi-devices/)

The NXP kit says:
    “Transmission uses the familiar Manchester Coding format to ensure convenient, reliable operation. The microcontroller automatically identifies microphone (MIC) and ground (GND), for quick and easy operation. The energy-harvesting block uses the right channel of the audio jack to output a 21.3 kHz sine waveform. The block rectifies the signal and generates a DC output.”

6. Tired_
    July 22, 2014

I’ve been looking for exactly this kind of device (HTC One envy, I think). Thanks for the post!

7. ru4mj12
    July 22, 2014

I’m trying to think of, aside from a cool factor, when you would need to use your phone for a spi/i2c/gpio interface?

For quick debugging maybe, but how much harder would it be to whip out a laptop with a bus pirate or similar to do any serious debugging..

As for a general interface solution, I imagine most sensor devices will be accessible via bluetooth le, nfc, or wifi..

What would be some good uses for the NXP 3.5mm jack platform?

8. cnxsoft
    July 22, 2014

@ru4mj12
    By using the audio jack, you can make products that are much cheaper than any Bluetooth, NFC or Wi-Fi equivalent… e.g. $1 button, $1 IR transmitter…
    The NXP devkit can be used to experiment and develop such products.

9. TonyC
    July 30, 2014

Can anyone advise how to set the zazaremote app to English?? Mine is in Chinese and I have no idea how to change it.
    Many thanks.

10. cnxsoft
    July 30, 2014

@TonyC
    The app is in English in my phone (Android 4.2.1), so I guess it should just automatically detect the locale set in your phone. If you default language is not English, it could be possible it defaults to Chinese.

11. TonyC
    July 30, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I have installed the app on the iphone (downloaded from the Apple app store) and it has defaulted to Chinese. Because I can’t read it, I cannot find any button or menu to change it. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

12. John
    October 18, 2014

Zaza remote in English how to.
    To get this app to work in English on iPhone, all you have to to is go to settings, general, language & Regions then select English (not English UK). Now your zaza remote will now be in English. Hope the info helps it took me ages to find this out.

13. Janan
    October 27, 2014

anyone knows if zazaremote works with Motorola Moto G?

• adrian
      April 21, 2016

It works with moto g xt1033 running cm12.1 but, you should not push ir dongle to audio jack untill click, just insert the device, run the app, point ir dongle to another smartphone camera, and hit any button in app, if you do correctly, you should see blink light come out from ir led. And now I can control my benq projector. Sorry for my bad english.

14. ud
    December 20, 2014

Do you have and SDK , or is there way to re-program my remote

15. cnxsoft
    December 20, 2014

@ud
    I don’t think there’s an SDK. If your remote is not part of the list, you’d need the dongle with IR learning function, and the app will be able to learn your remote IR codes.

16. ori
    December 23, 2014

Hi it supports my phone ? :
    oneplus one : https://oneplus.net/

17. Pavle
    March 30, 2015

I made my own IR dongle and it’s not working with Zaza remote app.What I have to do to get IR dongle working with Zaza remote app????

18. tof
    April 6, 2015

@Pavle: I made my IR dongle too, with two LEDs.
    I add to select as device setting: Smart-ZaZa
    And in Advanced settings: Audio Reversal to Right, and max volume to 100%.
    And then it worked.

19. Pavle
    April 24, 2015

@tof
    I tested Zaza remote app on LG L9 and it’s working, but it is not working on Huawei y530???WHY???

20. Pavle
    April 24, 2015

@tof
    I set Smart-Zaza and 100% and Audio Reversal to Right

21. Pavle
    April 24, 2015

What is difference between USB OTG Zaza remote and 3.5mm audio jack Zaza remote????
    What is better????

22. cnxsoft
    April 24, 2015

@Pavle
    I assume the functionality is the same between the 3.5mm audio and and USB OTG versions, it just depends which port people would rather use.

23. Pavle
    April 25, 2015

@Pavle
    I set Smart-Zaza and 100% and Audio Reversal to Right

24. Pavle
    April 26, 2015

What Zaza remote do you recommend me: 3.5mm audio or USB OTG?????

25. cnxsoft
    April 26, 2015

@Pavle
    I have never tried Zaza remote, so I don’t feel I can give a recommendation to one or the other.

26. Pavle
    April 26, 2015

I am trying to buy 3.5mm audio Zaza remote but I cannot find it on amazon and ebay.

27. Pavle
    April 26, 2015
  28. cnxsoft
    April 26, 2015
  29. Pavle
    April 26, 2015

I don’t want that I want this: 3.5mm IR learning dongle (Bottom right) on the picture above

30. Pavle
    April 26, 2015

Do you know where I can find this : 3.5mm IR learning dongle (Bottom right) on the picture above

31. Pavle
    April 26, 2015

@Pavle
    Do you know how can I make my own made IR dongle to work on Huawei y530???

32. Pavle
    June 2, 2015
  33. MUTHU
    June 15, 2015

Not support Moto G

34. OK
    July 12, 2015

@Pavle

besides the price, no difference.

35. Pavle
    July 22, 2015

Is S3 Neo I9301I supported by Zaza remote app??

36. Maxa
    July 23, 2015

@Pavle
    Yes. I have excatly same phone and is working fine.

37. Pavle
    July 25, 2015

I tried to put put zaza otg but android just says usb connector connected and zaza doesnt detect it.How to fix this???

38. Pavle
    July 25, 2015

Are you using zaza otg???

39. Pavle
    July 26, 2015

How to use Zaza OTG on S3 Neo I9301I ????

40. haruun
    October 18, 2015

Please am using lg d500 but the zaza remote can not function on it please I need help

41. Ettercap
    October 29, 2015

Someone needs to make another app that functions with the usb otg and 3.5mm headphone version because zazaremote is all kinds of sketchy it’s permissions are ridiculous, so basically I’ve bought an adapter I can’t even use with my phone due to security issues would easily pay 3.99-4.99 for an alternative app that didn’t require so many permissions, I mean why does it need to use your camera or record audio or read your contacts or be able to turn on your Hotspot I really don’t even want it to connect to the internet.

42. Sahib
    November 4, 2015

Franek :
    The IR learning is available ex on http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Andriod-mobile-phone-remote-control-3-5mm-audio-output-for-all-infrared-equipments-TV-air/1564415672.html

@Franek
    i have same device how can i record diy
    when i click on diy it says connect device with usb cable to pc nut it doesnt have any other port than audio jack
    my app recognize it as smart-zaza is it correct or i should change
    thanks in advance

43. Chem
    December 11, 2015

A number of phones already have IR (Samsung S4/5/6), and Zaza seems to work alright. I found Peel to be a better app for IR codesets and language. Though, I don’t think it has a learning feature

44. Sharath B K
    December 13, 2015

HEllo guys can anybody tell me how to add codes to the ZAZA remote app. I dont have the learnng device is it possible to manually edit and add codes to the ZAZA remote app ?

45. Roshan
    February 12, 2016

can u tell me about zazaremote app .i cannot find this app soo please tell me where this app .plzz i m use htc desire 620 g soo can i use zazaremote app for my device.

46. kaichou
    February 14, 2016

hi guys, is it possible to learn codes through the zazaremote, then export and use with other devices? like redmi note 2 that does have an IR transmitter, but not a receiver.
    does they work with zazaremote app only or can they be used with anymote as well?

47. Pavle
    February 14, 2016

You can make IR remote for android with 2 IR Leds and stereo audio jack: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Infrared-transmitter-for-iPhone-iPod/
    And you must set volume to the max on android and inside Zaza remote app: uncheck auto recognoze device,select SMART ZAZA and in advanced settings set Zaza max volume to 100%

48. rcdorrius
    February 24, 2016

Hi all, I’ve tried on my Nexus 5 MarshMallow unrooted the 3.5 Audio jack IR Remote and it works ok using Zazaremote app. Later I got the USB OTG universal IR Remote. zazaremote app. recognized the device but not functional. It works only recording (DIY) from other remote.

Please help if anyone have tried this device on Nexus 5 successfully.

Thanks.

49. Rhendy
    February 25, 2016

Hi i have made ir infrared dongle with audio jack 3.5 and using zazaremote app for samsung note 2 but not working. Anyone can help me?

50. rcdorrius
    February 25, 2016

@Rhendy
    Hi Rhendy, go to advanced settings, set ZaZa max valume to 100% and Audio Reversal On (slide to the right).
    Hope it will work for you.

Good Luck!

51. John
    March 16, 2016

I have bought a 3.5 audio jack from, eBay. I am trying to use it with zazaremote but it does not respond. My mobile device is iPhone 6. Any advice?

52. Marcelo da Silva
    March 18, 2016

boa noite
    zazaremote funciona com zenfone 5?
    obgd

53. onebir
    March 31, 2016
  54. agrram
    April 20, 2016

je me demmande si ca fonction sur galaxy s3

55. Pavle
    May 21, 2016

You can use viper4android to turn on gain and get voltage for audio jack.

56. Stefan
    July 5, 2016

Ettercap :

Yes, I came here looking for an alternative. I will never install a remote-app with those permission that zaza requests; mic-permission for a remote app? etc. no way.

57. sem
    July 17, 2016

tanks for posting this. i was gone to buy a LG 4. for only the IR remote. U are my saver. for this day. tanks so much.

58. knreddy
    July 24, 2016

Simple audio plug type transmitter remote works but only from 5 inches on redme2 hence it may need android with amplified head phone socket.
    USB type ir remote works for transmit as regular remote and also learns new commands but both are recognised by only Zaza remote app only (may be due to proprietary hardware or driver or locked in driver).But they are not at all recognised by zaza in BlackBerry Passport.

59. Akshat
    August 5, 2016

Is this IR blaster compatible with all android phones?

60. Pavle
    August 24, 2016

@Akshat
    Yes it is and if you don’t have enough voltage for IR LEDS , you can use viper4android to amplify signal.