AMD has launched their AMD Embedded R-Series accelerated processing unit (APU) platform designed for mid- to high-end graphics-intensive applications such as digital signage, casino gaming, point-of-sale systems and kiosks, as well as parallel processing applications such as medical imaging and security/surveillance thanks to OpenCL and DirectCompute support. The AMD Embedded R-Series APU combines the “Piledriver” CPU architecture with an AMD Radeon 7000 Series GPU.
There are 8 AMD R-Series APUs, 4 in PGA package and 4 in BGA package:
- R-464L – Quad Core APU @ 2.3/3.2 GHz with Radeon HD 7660G. TDP: 35W (PGA)
- R-460H – Quad Core APU @ 1.9/2.8 GHz with Radeon HD 7640G. TDP: 35W (PGA)
- R-272F – Dual Core APU @ 2.7/3.2 GHz with Radeon HD 7520G. TDP: 35W (PGA)
- R-268D – Dual Core APU @ 3.0/2.5 GHz with Radeon HD 7420G. TDP: 35W (PGA)
- R-460L – Quad Core APU @ 2.0/2.8 GHz with Radeon HD 7620G. TDP: 25W (BGA)
- R-452-L – Quad Core APU @ 1.6/2.4 GHz with Radeon HD 7600G. TDP: 19W (BGA)
- R-260H – Dual Core APU @ 2.1/2.6 GHz with Radeon HD 7500G. TDP: 17W (BGA)
- R-252F – Dual Core APU @ 1.9/2.4 GHz with Radeon HD 7400G. TDP: 17W (BGA)
AMD R-Series APUs work with R-Series A70M and A75 controller hubs. The former lacks PCI and FIS-Based Switching.
The new processors support up to four independent displays, which can be used to display four independent video feeds or a single video feed distributed across a four-panel display as could be the case for a video wall digital signage. It’s also possible to extend this capability to 10 displays by adding an AMD Radeon Embedded graphics card to the system.
Other Key Features & Benefits:
- AMD Turbo CORE 3 Technology automatically delivers an optimized balance between performance and power consumption.
- APU Thermal Design Power (TDP) ranging from 17 to 35 Watts and average power below 13 Watts.
- AMD Radeon HD 7000G Series graphics.
- AMD Radeon Dual Graphics technologycan more than double graphics performance compared to using discrete graphics alone.
- Secure Asset Management Unit lowers power/CPU overhead when dealing with protected content.
- Display resolutions of up to 4k x 2k @ 30 Hz utilizing a single display output.
To help their customers getting started, AMD provides 1 development board and 3 reference designs based on R-Series APU platform:
- AMD DB-FS1r2 Development Board
- AMD Embedded R-Series platform MiniITX Reference Design, Socket FS1
- AMD Embedded R-Series platform COM Express Reference Design, Socket FP2
- AMD Embedded R-Series platform MicroATX Reference Design, Socket FS1
Contrary to what AMD had done with the G-Series APU, they have made the reference designs documents available to all. The miniITX, microATX and COM reference designs can be accessed freely (after registration) and includes schematics, BOM and layout and gerber files examples as well as other documentation.
Several companies, including Axiomtek, Congatec and iBase, have already announced products based on the new R-Series APU processors.
You can find further information on AMD Embedded R-Series Platform site.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.