When Wandboard launches their Wandboard Solo and Wandboard Dual boards, many people asked when there would be a quad core version. At the time, the company said they had no plan for a quad core version to keep costs low. If we are to believe a Wandboard Quad listing on mouser.com, they must have changed their mind of they now offer a Freescale i.MX6 Quad version with 2GB RAM, and SATA support, which will sell for $129 (as shown on Wandboard site) or $139 (mouser.com) once it becomes available.
- SoC – Freescale i.MX 6Quad quad core Cortex A9 processor @ 1.2 GHz + Vivante GC2000 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 2x micro SD card slot + SATA connector
- Video Output – HDMI
- Audio I/O – HDMI, S/PDIF (optical), Line In, Line Out, and Mic In.
- Connectivity – 1Gb Ethernet + Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (BCM4329) + Bluetooth
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, + 1x mini USB OTG port
- Debug – UART port
- Expansion Headers – 4x 20-pin headers + CSI connector
- Power Supply – 5V
- Dimensions – 95 mm x 95 mm
Wandboard Quad is a serious contender to the UDOO QUAD, as long as you don’t need the Arduino headers provided by UDOO boards. You won’t find Linux (Ubuntu) or Android images right now, as the board has not been announced yet, but since it has started to show up on both Wandboard.org and mouser.com, we may get an official announcement this later week [Update: No PR, but they’ve just tweeted about it]. The EDM boards, as well as EDM connectors, standoffs and screws, will also be available for sale in packs of 10-units, if you want to use those in your own baseboard.
[Update: Wandboard has just mentioned the new board will be available in June:
The current status is that we have 60 working samples in our hands and a production run of Wandboard Quad’s will ship to distributors early June.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|