Panasonic has just introduced KW-PRX120 a cordless phone (DECT) running Android 4.0 on a 3.5″ display. It just looks like your smartphone, but you can only use it within your home.
KW-PRX120 specifications and features:
- Display – 3.5 inch TFT colour LCD (HVGA) with capacitive multi touch screen
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS
- Camera – 0.3M pixel Front Camera
- Battery – 1450mAh Li-ion Battery
- Storage – microSD / microSDHC Card Slot on Handset
- USB – micro USB Charging Port
- Phone features:
- Incoming/Outgoing Call Barring to help minimise unwanted or nuisance calls
- Caller ID, Caller ID memory
- Answering Machine (40min)
- Key Finder accessory (Optional)
- Up to 6 handsets (Optional handset or GAP supported DECT handset) can be registered
The company did not mention details about the processor, RAM, or storage in the device, but it comes with Google Play, so you’ll be able to install (most of) the apps you’re alreading using on your smartphone.
I’ve actually wanted smartphones that can also connect to a DECT base, and switch between DECT and GSM modes, depending on the location of the person I call, but it does not seem to exist just yet. You can already do something similar with Skype via Wi-Fi, but it tends to discharge the battery relatively quickly.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.