With Texas Instruments SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 and Qualcomm Atheros AR4100P embedded Wi-Fi processors that fully handle Wi-Fi internally, and transfer data to an MCU with an SPI interface, and solutions such as Electric Imp, there are already ways to add Wi-Fi at relatively low cost to appliances. There’s now another solution available on the market with Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi Module.
- SoC – ARM Cortex M3 class processor with 1MB on-chip Flash and 128 KB SRAM
- Storage – SPI Flash storage
- Wireless LAN Interface
- IEEE 802.11 b/g and IEEE 802.11n (single stream) WLAN interface (2.4 GHz only)
- IEEE 802.11 d/h/i/j/k/w/r
- WPS 2.0 support
- u.FL connector for external antenna
- Serial Interface
- Two Serial CMOS Ports (3.3V, 5V tolerant)
- 300 to 921.6 Kbps
- Flow control XON/XOFF, RTS/CTS (SPort 1 only)
- Lantronix tunneling application (SPort 1 only)
- Host Interface – Dual Serial Port, SPI, USB 2.0 (device), 8 GPIOs
- Network Protocols – TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DHCP, ARP, ICMP, DHCP, Auto-IP, DNS, SNMPv1, TFTP
- Networking Capabilities
- Soft Access Point with DHCP Server
- Lantronix SmartRoam Technology continually tracks Wi-Fi signal strength within range, along with pre-authentication and caching resulting in smooth and automatic transition to access points without delay.
- QuickConnect: Dynamic Profiles facilitate easy and rapid connections to access points
- Management and Control
- Web Server – Landing Page
- CLI (Serial Monitor Port), Telnet
- XML import and Export (XCR)
- Field upgradable firmware (OTA)
- Security – IEEE 802.11i Support (WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal), 256-bit AES Encryption
- Power – 3.3VDC. Approximately 6μA in standby mode
- Physical Interface – 40-pin Board-to-Board SMT Connector
- Operating Temp: -40° to +85° C (For operation over +70° C a thermal pad is required)
- Storage Temp: -40° to +85° C
- Relative Humidity: 0% to 90% non-condensing
- Certifications – FCC Class B, UL and EN EMC, Japan
- Dimensions – 24mm (L) x 16.5mm (W) x 5.64mm (H)
- Weight – 2.5g
The module also comes with a 5-Year limited warranty.
The company also provides xPico Wi-Fi development kit ($136.10 – Ref: XPW100100K-01) for evaluation or development comprised of the following items:
- xPico Evaluation Board with xPico Wi-Fi module and mounting clip
- 2dBi, Whip Antenna with RP SMA connector (930-033-R)
- 1.5 to 2.5dBi, PCB Strip Antenna with 50mm U.FL cable (930-099-R)
- 5Vdc Wall-mount power supply AC/DC, 1A with mini-USB connector
The board itself features the xPico Wi-Fi module, and Ethernet port, a serial connector (DB9), u.FL and SMA antenna sockets, a USB device socket, and for power: a micro USB port, a battery port, and an On/Off switch.
Embedded Star reports the module is available now, and pricing starts at $27.80 for 5,000 unit quantities. You can find more documentation about xPico Wi-Fi module, and development board on Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi documentation page.