Developer “croniccorey” has recently announced the release of MX Linux v1.00 RC1, an XBMC Linux image for media players based on AMLogic AML8726-MX, on XDA Developers’ Forums. This release supports G18REF and MX2REF devices (See build.prop in Android) such as Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2, and a test image has also been released for g02refDongle devices such as Droid Stick A2.
Before starting the installation, you may want to check your flash partitions in order to avoid bricking your device:
- Install and run Terminal Emulator
- Run the command below to make sure your partition table is compatible with the image:
1234567891011[root@amlogic /]# cat /proc/mtddev: size erasesize namemtd0: 00400000 00200000 "ubootenv" or "bootloader"mtd1: 00800000 00200000 "logo"mtd2: 00800000 00200000 "aml_logo"mtd3: 00800000 00200000 "recovery"mtd4: 00800000 00200000 "boot"mtd5: 40400000 00200000 "system"mtd6: 20000000 00200000 "cache"mtd7: 10000000 00200000 "backup"mtd8: 18c800000 00200000 "userdata"
If your partition table is different, do not install the default image for MX2REF / G18REF. However, If you’ve got Matricom Android firmware version 1.1.6 or greater or WJB’s Linux builds from November 21 2013 onwards, the MTD layout will be different, and you’ll need to use another image “NEWMTD”. AML8726-MX based HDMI TV dongles are also likely to have a different partition table (TBC).
First download the firmware that correspond to your hardware & Android firmware. There are three versions:
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip – For MX2REF and G18REF devices
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-NEWMTD-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip – For MX2REF and G18REF devices with new MTD layout
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-TEST1-G02REFDONGLE-update.zip – For g02refDongle devices, but dongles with Broadcom Wi-Fi may not work.
Then the procedure is the same as for any firmware on AML8726-MX namely:
- Extract the image to an SD card or USB drive
- Use a sharp object, preferably non conductive, such as a toothpick to hold the reset/recovery button, apply power, and release the button.
- Select “Install update from EXT”.
- Select “Install from udisk” or “Install from sdcard” depending on the mass storage device with the firmware.
- Select MX_LINUX_vX.XX-XXXX-Update.zip, and be patient
- Upon completion, select “Reboot system now”
- Success! (hopefully)
In case of issues with the release builds, or if you can successfully run the test image on HDMI TV sticks, and/or have some feedback, you can do so on XDA developers forum link above. Bear in mind that g02refDongle build is for test purpose as the developer does not own the device, so not everything may work as intended. Having said that, one users reported it could boot fine, and video playback works.
- Visualization screensavers may cause freeze
- Some live HD streams such as BBC don’t work properly (Pending)
- Airplay is broken (Reported as fixed in new builds)
Changelog for Release 1.00 RC1 (Release candidate):
- Fix seeking on streams that support it
- Fix 1080P playback freezes
- Fix FF/RW accuracy
- Fix fusion repo
- Fix AE (No more forcing everything to S16_LE)
- Fix black strip on screen side when using 1080p@60Hz on some displays
- Fix/improve CPU voltage/freq scaling
- Re-base XBMC to official 12.2 with all previous changes
- Re-base libamplayer-m6 and kernel to Amlogic 08/01/2013 sources with all previous changes
- Bump kernel to 3.0.101-MX (final)
- Bump ffmpeg to 1.2.4, librtmp to 2.4 and add ksv patch, libcurl to 7.33.0, libass to 0.10.2, libnfs to 1.8
- Bump XBMC add-ons, and PVR add-ons
- Drop 300mb buffer and re-add pr1388 ram buffer patch
- More fixs from gotham to XBMC (see github for details)
- Rename our XBMC to “Frodo 12.3” (unofficially)
- Rework some init.d scripts (S10setup, S95xbmc)
- Add support for CU wireless adapters
- Up GPU frequency from 400Mhz > 450Mhz
- Performance tweaks to kernel for speed
- Switch to new CPU governor (Lagfree)
- Switch to new iosched (BFQ)
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.