Developer “croniccorey” has recently announced the release of MX Linux v1.00 RC1, an XBMC Linux image for media players based on AMLogic AML8726-MX, on XDA Developers’ Forums. This release supports G18REF and MX2REF devices (See build.prop in Android) such as Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2, and a test image has also been released for g02refDongle devices such as Droid Stick A2.
Checking the MTD layout
Before starting the installation, you may want to check your flash partitions in order to avoid bricking your device:
- Install and run Terminal Emulator
- Run the command below to make sure your partition table is compatible with the image:
1234567891011[root@amlogic /]# cat /proc/mtddev: size erasesize namemtd0: 00400000 00200000 "ubootenv" or "bootloader"mtd1: 00800000 00200000 "logo"mtd2: 00800000 00200000 "aml_logo"mtd3: 00800000 00200000 "recovery"mtd4: 00800000 00200000 "boot"mtd5: 40400000 00200000 "system"mtd6: 20000000 00200000 "cache"mtd7: 10000000 00200000 "backup"mtd8: 18c800000 00200000 "userdata"
If your partition table is different, do not install the default image for MX2REF / G18REF. However, If you’ve got Matricom Android firmware version 1.1.6 or greater or WJB’s Linux builds from November 21 2013 onwards, the MTD layout will be different, and you’ll need to use another image “NEWMTD”. AML8726-MX based HDMI TV dongles are also likely to have a different partition table (TBC).
First download the firmware that correspond to your hardware & Android firmware. There are three versions:
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip – For MX2REF and G18REF devices
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-NEWMTD-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip – For MX2REF and G18REF devices with new MTD layout
- MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-TEST1-G02REFDONGLE-update.zip – For g02refDongle devices, but dongles with Broadcom Wi-Fi may not work.
Then the procedure is the same as for any firmware on AML8726-MX namely:
- Extract the image to an SD card or USB drive
- Use a sharp object, preferably non conductive, such as a toothpick to hold the reset/recovery button, apply power, and release the button.
- Select “Install update from EXT”.
- Select “Install from udisk” or “Install from sdcard” depending on the mass storage device with the firmware.
- Select MX_LINUX_vX.XX-XXXX-Update.zip, and be patient
- Upon completion, select “Reboot system now”
- Success! (hopefully)
In case of issues with the release builds, or if you can successfully run the test image on HDMI TV sticks, and/or have some feedback, you can do so on XDA developers forum link above. Bear in mind that g02refDongle build is for test purpose as the developer does not own the device, so not everything may work as intended. Having said that, one users reported it could boot fine, and video playback works.
Known bugs and Changelog
- Visualization screensavers may cause freeze
- Some live HD streams such as BBC don’t work properly (Pending)
- Airplay is broken (Reported as fixed in new builds)
Changelog for Release 1.00 RC1 (Release candidate):
- Fix seeking on streams that support it
- Fix 1080P playback freezes
- Fix FF/RW accuracy
- Fix fusion repo
- Fix AE (No more forcing everything to S16_LE)
- Fix black strip on screen side when using 1080p@60Hz on some displays
- Fix/improve CPU voltage/freq scaling
- Re-base XBMC to official 12.2 with all previous changes
- Re-base libamplayer-m6 and kernel to Amlogic 08/01/2013 sources with all previous changes
- Bump kernel to 3.0.101-MX (final)
- Bump ffmpeg to 1.2.4, librtmp to 2.4 and add ksv patch, libcurl to 7.33.0, libass to 0.10.2, libnfs to 1.8
- Bump XBMC add-ons, and PVR add-ons
- Drop 300mb buffer and re-add pr1388 ram buffer patch
- More fixs from gotham to XBMC (see github for details)
- Rename our XBMC to “Frodo 12.3” (unofficially)
- Rework some init.d scripts (S10setup, S95xbmc)
- Add support for CU wireless adapters
- Up GPU frequency from 400Mhz > 450Mhz
- Performance tweaks to kernel for speed
- Switch to new CPU governor (Lagfree)
- Switch to new iosched (BFQ)
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
24 Replies to “XBMC MX Linux v1.00 RC1 for AMLogic AML8726-MX Devices”
What about Geniatech ATV120 or ATV1200 which is AMLogic AML8726-MX?????????????
do not try it on the ATV120, it will not work, the MTD is different :/
tha ATV120 seems like a dead device, there is just not much going on for it, I think its just meant to be used as is. I can’t even find a xpad.ko module let alone the the kernel source 🙁
hey guys i tried to install xbmc minix version on my mk908 and it would not let me. although i had no trouble installing xbmc-ouya which works flawlessly. just wondering something on the minix site they keep talking about getting all the codecs working like the vc1 and having full vpu or something are the full of SH*T or what
* Working MPEG2 acceleration
* New GFX
* Handle issue with bottom ghost pixels on some vids
* External players support
* Do not handle POWER button in XBMC (solves issue when using the remote power button)
* Remove HDMI audio option (prevent passthrough issues)
MINIX just send us an email, and said, they are working with XBMC team, and release a BETA MINIX Edition XBMC. you can get the APK here:
why it call MINIX Edition?
Because it is just for MINIX device, other rockchip device can’t use this edition;
What is the difference with other XBMC version?
As we all know, Rockchip don’t open source, so it is hard to use internal XBMC player to watch the 1080p video, however, This MINIX XBMC Edition will make the internal player work with 1080p video.
SO what is the detail of this version, check what MINIX said:
It has been optimized for the Rockchip VPU, so you’ll get better video performances than on a generic XBMC.
– VC1 and VP8 accelerated. Still issue with MPEG2.
– It contains the passthrough hack
– It has a distinctive android signature, so you can install it alongside any other XBMC. With further updates, you won’t loose your settings.
– It is based on Frodo (12.x)
This is just a Beta version, they are collecting feedback, and will release offical version soon. We are told this XBMC version should work with all MINIX serious, like NEO G4, NEO X5, NEO X7, NEO X5MINI, NEO X7MINI, but make sure you are use the latest stock firmware on those device.
Here is a video review for this version from our friends Somecooltech 🙂
WELL DONE, MINIX, this is a big plus to your device. let’s just hope the official edition release.
I installed MX_LINUX_v1.00-RC1-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip on GBOX MX2, but I have a problem, after restart, all installed addons are removed.
Does anyone know any possible reason?
i installed this on my droid stick but there is no wifi and ethernet not connecting
They said Wi-Fi may not work… Maybe you need to find an updated image.
I’ve tried XBMC Gotham beta2 from the link below, network manager addon doesn’t show any wifi networks, but you could connect to WIFI by entering the SSID, encryption & password. ASIX usb network adapter works too. It can’t get network time from NTP, but that can be fixed by connecting through SSH and editing some files.
See this post:
does any one know where i can find update for this ilooked all over google
thanks gabe this is the second time you saved me bro
by the way sticking a needle in the reset swith and poering it on nothing happens all i get is no signal. so i think i might have to flash the last android rom then use the update from within android like last time.
gabe i could not find any thing about sh ing into the dongle both links are xbmc 12.4 i dont understand one says gotham beta2 and the other says 14 but both are 12.4
12.4 doesn’t exist, see here:
If you go to system info you’ll see it’s version 13.
hey guys i just bought the mx2 box (g18ref) and installed mx linux but after i power off and reboot i loose everything addons settings everythig can some one help
If you tried a croniccorey build then you’ll have to ask him. Loosing settings happened also on g02refdongle if I remember correctly.
not too sure but i think itmay have some thing to do with new and old mtd may need to flash spi first asuming spi is u-boot or boot partition
:rolleyes: hi after i inslled matricom 1.1.5 on my g18ref i could not get into recovery by pressing the reset button inside the av hole so i installed mxlinux bu clicking on update and choosing mx linux.zip its 12.4 by the way and the box restarted and installed the mx linux but now again when i want to go into recovery by holding the reset buttun it wont it just keeps booting into mx linux and i akso keep loosing my settings and addon on every boot can some plzz help me thanks
Looks like there is a new version now for MX2 / MX2REF. The procedure appears to be identical, but in case, everything is explained on a video with G-box Midnight MX2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp2CWBcEd8I
Here are the files:
Android FIRMWARE FILES FOR STEP #1 – http://bit.ly/1jhQtjN
* LINUX XBMC GOTHAM ZIP – http://bit.ly/1g7Cmww (AMLinux-20APR2014-215313-update.zip)
* LINUX XBMC FRODO ZIP – http://bit.ly/1hN7cWD (MX2-06MAR2014-154733-frodo-amlinux-update.zip)
i have android tv box model mx5 of bluetimes.
does this version of linux will work for me? did anyone here tested it on my model?
You need to check your build.prop files to find out if the productid is g18ref or mx2ref. If yes, I understand it should work, if not, it won’t.
I need some help. I ordered 3 mx boxes from amazon, since i already have a mx2 from Marticom i thought it would just be as easy as toothpick method into the reboot and installing Matricoms software. From what i read i might have bricked 2 of them? I get the normal a9 symbol that appears then the android guy, which sent move from there. I am still able to get on the reboot screen if needed. I was able to put linux on one of them with no problem but the power button does not work, Is there a fix for that? Anyways can someone help me with some advice on a build that allows the power to work on the controller or a way to get Matricoms software on the box? Every time i retry to put on any other software it aborts. Except linux..
please i’m searching for AML8726 firmware but i don’t know the version, the firmware is for my smart tv baünz 28″ you look at description on this url http://www.baunz-multimedia.com/produit-SMT2872cm-9-35-fr.html