A new firmware is now available for Tronsmart Prometheus with the following key changes:
- New Android 4.2
- XBMC audio/video sync bug fix
- DLNA support
- Smartphone control function
- Internal storage for apps increased to 2GB
In order to use the smartphone control function, you need to download and install RC_Client.apk into your Android smartphone or tablet, and run this app to control your Prometheus. I haven’t tried myself, and they did not provide detail, so I don’t know whether functionalities are similar to DroidMote.
To update your device if It’s already running the previous Android 4.2 beta firmware:
- Download and extract Tronsmart Prometheus new stock firmware.zip. It would be really nice if they could just provide version numbers for firmware releases.
- Open the download folder, copy the 5 files in the root folder of an SD card, and insert it into your device.
- Use a paper clip to press and hold the reset key at back of the box, and power the device;
- Wait for blue LED to flash 3 times, release reset key, and wait for the system to automatically upgrade. Please note there’s no video output during the upgrade.
- Upon completion, the device will be reboot into the new firmware.
- I’m not sure why it’s not part of the firmware, but you also have to download, and install the updated version XBMC: Tronsmart Prometheus-xbmcapp-20130507-debug.apk.
If you’ve bought a new device it will come with Android 4.1, and to successfully complete the firmware upgrade, you’ll have to repeat steps 1 to 5, before installing XBMC.
Future firmware releases will be available in Tronsmart’s Download page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.